SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kef Corelli crossover rebuild

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frater Perdurabo
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Kef Corelli crossover rebuild Reply with quote

I planning to rebuild the crossovers in my Corellis. Originally the plan was to replace the caps with 1% metal film caps from Parts Express - they're reasonably affordable and presumably a step up from the electrolytics originally used.

Do you think that's the best strategy?

I've had these Corellis for about a year; AFAIK everything is original and unmolested. I find the tweeter kind of "hot" - massed violins and massed brass are problematic. Certain voices - Bob Dylan, or Diana Krall - are piercing. Would it be worthwhile to copy the high pass section of 104ab? In my current setup, I use digital eq to knock down 10khz region 3 db - that seems to a step in the right direction.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the plan was to replace the caps with 1% metal film caps from Parts Express - they're reasonably affordable and presumably a step up from the electrolytics originally used

As they don't have a branch in the UK or export here at a reasonable cost I can make no comment.

As the T27s sound "hot" to you, go cheaper first and get some electrolytic Alcaps.

Better components will only increase the "heat", so let your ears decide.

You probably need a "better" (British?) amplifier, as some midmarket vintage Yammies and Pioneers are very shouty/squeaky with KEFs and lightbulbs are a sonic no-no.

Quote:
Would it be worthwhile to copy the high pass section of 104ab?

Later Corellis use the same treble filter as the 104aB, the earlier varient with the tapped inductor is a less sophisticated CAD solution made with reduced computing power.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Frater Perdurabo
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colinr:

Thanks for your help.

You're undoubtedly right about needing a better amp; I'm using a mass market-market, ultra-cheap receiver from the US Best Buy chain. Had a chance to use a tube amp and pre-amp for a couple of days - and it was much, much nicer all-around. But there was still "something" wrong...I'm wondering if the crossover point for the tweeter has drifted lower.

Film caps being "hotter" - good point. I'll replace the caps with bipolar electrolytics, as in the original.

Re: DN17 vs DN 18: didn't realize there were 2 versions of the Corelli - mine doesn't have the bd139, so I presume it's the version with the DN17. I'll have a chance to open them up tomorrow. At that point I'll verifiy what's what, and measure the inductor values for the poster in the other thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: