SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Building for fun

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robh3606
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Building for fun Reply with quote

Just wondering how many of you are building your own stuff. Lots of fun! I use JBL drivers but what you use really doesn't matter. Great hobby! I will be coming by to see what tips I can pick up. Good luck on the new forum!

Rob Smile
Kenny
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy to build enclousures for my speakers hoping to get the most out of them. I started with sealed, but it just wasn't fun. Them moved to vented, and there I could tune the box to different frecuencies.

Now I'm really interested in TL enclousures, after reading about them a little, I decided to do a proto TL with my 8" MB Acoustics sub, so I took an old sealed box I had for it, made a hole on top to attach a 8" sonotube to it, after tunning it and sounded great. Now I didn't use my 10" JBL (tuned to 27Hz), it just didn't sound the same. So I working on a TL for the 10" JBL...
b139
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny wrote:
Them moved to vented, and there I could tune the box to different frecuencies.

Kenny
I would be really interested in hearing more about this? What do you mean you tune the boxes to a particular frequency? How do you do this and why?
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny wrote:
Now I'm really interested in TL enclousures, after reading about them a little, I decided to do a proto TL with my 8" MB Acoustics sub, so I took an old sealed box I had for it, made a hole on top to attach a 8" sonotube to it, after tunning it and sounded great. Now I didn't use my 10" JBL (tuned to 27Hz), it just didn't sound the same. So I working on a TL for the 10" JBL...

Have you looked at subs which include the B139 eg 'the coffin'?
http://www.t-linespeakers.org/classics/coffin/index.html. I have an interest in producing a piece of furniture which has another function but which is also a sub woofer.

Dave Dlugos has a great site on speakers and includes lots of information about transmission line designs. I suppose you have seen it though.
http://www.t-linespeakers.org/
Kenny
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b139 wrote:

Kenny
I would be really interested in hearing more about this? What do you mean you tune the boxes to a particular frequency? How do you do this and why?

When you have a vented eclousure you usually have two different resonant frecuencies, one is the woofer's resonance in that particular volume of air and the other is the resonance of the port in the box, by varying the diameter and the lenght of it, you can change it's resonance frecuency, thus changing the subwoofer tuning. You can do this to extend the low frecuency extension of the subwoofer, or to give the sub a "boost" at cretain frecuencies.
b139
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny wrote:
When you have a vented eclousure you usually have two different resonant frecuencies, one is the woofer's resonance in that particular volume of air and the other is the resonance of the port in the box, by varying the diameter and the lenght of it, you can change it's resonance frecuency, thus changing the subwoofer tuning. You can do this to extend the low frecuency extension of the subwoofer, or to give the sub a "boost" at cretain frecuencies.

Kenny
Can you recommend any particular URL or book so that I can find out more about this?
Kenny
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b139 wrote:
Kenny
Can you recommend any particular URL or book so that I can find out more about this?

For books, the legendary "Vance Dickason Loudspeaker Design Cookbook".

On the internet I like:

1. http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/index.html
2. http://www.diysubwoofers.org/
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have built a half (not quarter) wavelength TL using B139, B110B and Decca Ribbon. Electronic crossover at 24 d/B per octave and a 100W amplifier for each unit. Took ages to load the TL correctly but it DOES work! Although large and imposing the system and cannot go as loud as modern "monitors". Sadly a friends double pair of QUAD 989s and MF KWs sound so much better but at a price!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: