SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meridian M2 B110 repair/replacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark E
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Meridian M2 B110 repair/replacement Reply with quote

Hi all Smile

I have a pair of Meridian M2s About a couple of years back, I noticed that both the bass units on one of them were separating from their surrounds.

So I instigated what has turned out to be a rather ham-fisted repair. I stuck the surrounds back to the cones using Evo-Stik impact adhesive. Having recently noticed some nasty noises when given a bit of bass, I found to my horror that the cones themselves have started splitting where the Evo-Stik was applied- you can just make out the splits on this pic:

The B110s are the SP1057 or B version. I've had some unsuccessful bids on eBay the last few weeks trying to get a used pair, and the prices seem to be getting silly- the last pair went for over £130.

I've looked around for a recone service but the main one mentioned, Richard Allan, say on their website that they're not currently accepting any more units for repair.

So, I've got a few options that I'd like to seek collective wisdom and advice on

- hold out for a used pair of SP1057s
- substitute them for the SP1003 (is power handling the only practical difference?)
- look for another recone service (any ideas)
- use a substitute unit e.g. Monacor SPH135

Thanks in anticipation
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately the 1003 has almost half the power handling for bass duties, and I ?think? the surround changed in the 1057 to PVC making the mechanical Q quite different, and improving the subjective performance considerably. Besides good 1003s will go to silly money on eprey sometimes for LS3/5a rebuilds, and may have the infamous 1.2kHz peak nowadays anyway?
ColinR
‹ber Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Meridian M2s aren't, as I see a T33 not a T52 tweeter, so you could substitute other drive units as the amplifiers are fairly tolerant.

Alternatively try.

D C Bolton
Unit 12, Damgate Lane, Acle
Norwich
NR13 3DJ
01493 750075

Have heard good reports on rebuilds - historically they used to make seaplanes!

Don't go via audioloudspeakers.co.uk, like Wilmslow Audio they're just agents adding a mark up and more VAT!

OR

Email: paul@wembleyloudspeaker.com
Tel: 020 8743 4567
Address: Unit A4
West 12 Studios
2A Askew Crescent
London
W12 9DP

Contacts: Paul MacCullum - MD
Paul Mansfield
Tony Collins

One of the Pauls was the bass player in the Wombles pop group Very Happy .

OR maybe for the future the man in Hornchurch.

Sadly David Smith's daughter has the big C so he's not operating at 100% at the moment.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Mark E
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colin,

Firstly, thanks very much for the info, I'll follow them up.

There was me thinking they hadn't been previously butchered... there hasn't been any attenuation fitted so that may well explain why I think they sound a little bright on occasions.

A bit of reading around suggests that the performance of the T33 is somewhat inferior to the T52, and given the latter are like rocking horse doo-doo, does anyone have any suggestions for a unit of comparable performance to the T52?
ColinR
‹ber Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the SP1210/1191/1195/1197 T33mkII there are no modern or easily available contemporary substitutes for the T52 SP1072/1049, so itís whatever you fancy or whatever you can afford that can be crossed over at 1900Hz with a 24dB/octave filter.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always regarded the T52 as one of the smoothest tweeters around. The closest in quality IMHO was the Audax 34mm that the BBC and Spendor used in some systems. Again smoother than the ubiquitous 25mm but unfortunately physically not a match for any T52 cutouts. Very slightly more critical of listening axis than the 1in tweeters, but made up for it in lack of tizziness or grain.

If your T33 is a bit bright, is there not an internal preset for the amp gain?
ColinR
‹ber Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
is there not an internal preset for the amp gain?

No, the amplifiers have a sophisticated ladder network to self compensate for drift, the only (two) presets are in these circuits to alter the quiescent power transistor current whilst under test conditions.

Drift should be corrected when the rear (heatsink) panel becomes warm when the units have been turned on and allowed to idle for about an hour. i.e about every 15 years!
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, that's a shame, thanks for the info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: