SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Q90 Tweeter units

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Bean
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Q90 Tweeter units Reply with quote

I am a Brit who has carted all his worldly possessions over here to Australia including a nice pair of KEF Q50's. I recently acquired a pair of KEF Q90's from the early 90's here in Brisbane. They would have been purchased new in Australia by the original owner.

Comparing the two sets of speakers side by side, it quickly became apparent that the high frequency response of one of the Q90 cabinets is significantly below par. Testing has shown it to be a tweeter rather than cross-over issue and closer inspection has revealed that the cabinet in question is fitted with an NT25 SP1341 tweeter. The other 'good' cabinet has an SP1276 tweeter.

The museum section of the KEF website indicates the correct tweeter for the Q90 is the SP1353. From this forum and elsewhere I understand these have not been available as spares for some time, hence it would appear the tweeters in both the Q90 cabinets have been changed.

On the website of The Speaker Exchange of Tampa, Florida, there is a claim that the 1276 was fitted to the Q90 and they offer the 1413X as a replacement.

I have e-mailed KEF UK for clarification and to enquire about the 1353 but made the error of stating I am in Australia and they don't seem to like dealing with 'Johnny Foreigner'. Moreover, perhaps understandably, due to a) the age of the speakers and b) not having spent any money with the Australian agent for KEF, their interest in helping me out is limited.

It seems I am faced with the option of replacing the 'below-par' 1341 with a 1413X and having a potential mis-match between the two cabinets or replacing both tweeters with the 1413X's offered by The Speaker Exchange. The latter is not an inexpensive option and would render the acquisition of the speakers a relatively costly affair.

Can anyone confirm the suitability of the 1276 as a replacement for the 1353 and how compatible the 1413X offered by The Speaker Exchange is with the 1276?

Also, can anyone shed any light on the 1341 and why the upper frequency response is so muted in this cabinet? Is it simply incompatibility with the cross-over?

Any help and advice greatly appreciated.
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

You mean these tweeters: http://reconingspeakers.com/product/kef-rdm2-sp1413x-tweeter/
Well, i think thats your only option to get the speakers working the same way. And yes, not cheap, but at the other hand, what should the price be as you have to buy 2 original Kef tweeters (if possible), maybe a little cheaper......
So, i should go for this option.
Mr Bean
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Q90s assuming they were OK and this was reflected in the price.

The cost of two replacement tweeters plus the shipping makes then a VERY bad buy.

I have approached the vendor and he is washing his hands of the problem.

I suspect he knew there was an issue with one of the cabinets and he was lucky enough for me not to notice it when demo'd at his house.
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but that can happen with a second hand deal. No warranty!
Now make the choice, ok, little more expensive as planned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: