SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello from new member

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gray
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Hello from new member Reply with quote

Hi, my name is Graham and I live in the damp north.
At nearly 35 I'm too old to be collecting retro stereo equipment in my bedroom Very Happy
Happily for me my better half is turning a blind eye (and ear) to what goes on.
Anyway, as an introduction, here is my mostly retro bedroom based system;

I have a pair of these - '71 Cadenzas given to me 12yrs ago by a good friend's grandad.

and a pair of these - '75 (I think) Codas which belonged to my grandad

also belonging to my grandad was this rather lovely '75 Pioneer SX434 Receiver with 4 speaker outputs and 15w per channel

and my trusty Sony PS1350 belt driven turntable, pretty sure it's 70s.
which was a 16th birthday present from my dad.

I think it sounds wonderful and I spend more time listening to this system than my modern(ish) kit in the lounge.

Thanks for looking Very Happy
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on having some genuine old originals in such good condition.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Hello from new member Reply with quote

Greetings and welcome to the sanatorium from him in Gloucestershire!

Thank you for sharing, some lovely memories have flooded back, lovely apparatus in superb condition!
Richie
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham and welcome, sorry to hear about the north being damp, you do have some great kit though....
Gray
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome chaps Smile

The Cadenzas resided in my living room powered by a Cambridge Audio amplifier, I had this set-up for 10 years and was very happy with it until February this year the left speaker started to sound strange.

Worried, I did a bit of research and found this gem of a site and realised my Cadenzas were the early versions with the flakey passive radiator, guessing this may be the issue I took them apart to investigate.

The foam sections with the thin plastic stuck on appeared to be in great condition, the rubber surrounds still flexible and uncracked.

The plastic was lifting away from the expanded foam in several places on both radiators and this probably accounted for the strange noises.

I found some adhesive that didn't dissolve the styrene foam and carefully stuck them back down, I then fitted some new self adhesive gaskets after cleaning away the remains of the old crumbled ones.

and did the same with the B200 gaskets which were also just powder

While I had the speakers in bits I thought what else should I do? so I had another browse on this forum (thanks again) read about deterioration in old electrolytic capacitors and got on the phone to Jerry at Falcon Acoustics, £25 pounds later I got replacement Al 2% low loss capacitors and a few metres of decent gauge cable.
Jerry was very helpful and nice to a novice like me on the phone Very Happy

before

After some tentative and worried soldering

I put them back together carefully and after a brief period at low volume gave them a bit of welly and I was so relieved when they sounded great!

40 years young this year!

I hope this can help someone else who is rebuilding their Cadenzas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: