SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello everyone - I'm new here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JEfromCanada
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Hello everyone - I'm new here Reply with quote

Good day, everyone.

I'm new to this forum, having just joined today. Until now, I hadn't realized there was a forum dedicated to the "older" KEF speakers.

My first pair of "real" speakers (i.e. ones that didn't come free with a $50 receiver) were the KEF Cadenzas I purchased in 1974 or 1975 (can't recall exactly when); soon after landing my first job out of university and making enough money to pay for them.

They were purchased from Wackid Radio, an audio store located in Ottawa.

Anyway, my wife and I are downsizing, and she's given me a directive to downsize my massive collection of old electronic and stereo equipment.

The KEF's were my primary speaker until I replaced my entire audio system in the mid-eighties; and after that, I used them as the speakers in my home office (with some of my older gear). They've been sitting idle in storage, in their original boxes, for the past 10 years or so.

I'm enclosing a picture of the boxes (markings on the top of the box indicate that they are from the same shipping batch), and once I get the speakers unboxed, I will be posting pictures of those as well.

I have no idea of how well they've survived the years in storage. Specifically, I don't know how well they've come through the southern-Ontario winters in my garage. On the bottom box, you can see what appears to be water stains, but those stains are only one one side of the box, so I think it may have been caused by residue of whatever object it was up against. We shall soon see...

In the meantime, I look forward to getting to know more about the forum and its regulars as time goes by.
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.
Richie
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A warm welcome to you .....
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the asylum, your life will never be the same again... Shocked
Innercity126
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JE,

Welcome to the forum. I'm a newb here, too. That is so cool that you still have your first KEF's, and a great model at that. Let's hope that the stains did not go through the box.

I am doing up some Reference 105's, at the moment, and will be looking forward to the finished product. I thought about retroing them with a fire engine red lacquer finish, but I think my wife would kick me (and the KEF's) out of the house! Why don't they understand?

As much as I love the 105's, my heart rests with finding a mint/near-mint pair of 104ab's. For some reason that model has always done it for me.

Anyway, let us know how the Cadenza's get on. Cheers!

William
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello everyone - I'm new here Reply with quote

Another member in the asylum, you will never be the same! Smile
I hope that the water damage on the cartons did not get as far as the loudspeakers.
Enjoy and plese report back with your findings.

Abiove all WELCOME!
JEfromCanada
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: The Cadenzas weren't water damaged - thank God! Reply with quote

I was concerned about the stain (even though it wasn't on every face of the box), so I unpacked that speaker.

What I found was the foam on the inside of the grille had disintegrated. It still was holding its shape, but when the grille was removed to check the cones, the foam just fell apart.

I was pleased that the material used around the speakers and ports was rubber, so it was still intact. The only damage I could see was a bit of a chip on the top/left/rear corner of the speaker, as well as some scratch marks on the bottom of the speaker (not quite sure how that happened).

I've got more pictures to post ...

Serial number: 44794 (the other speaker is 44795)

Showing the speaker (full view) with the imperfection in the corner

Showing a closeup of the imperfection

The grille is in good shape

The following pictures were taken with the grille removed:

Inspection sticker (cool how the person saved time by combining the '7' and '4' from the year 1974)

Speaker enclosure - did not dust or clean after removing grille

Close up #1

Close up #2

Photo of scratches on BOTTOM of speaker
Innercity126

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still beauties after all this time.

Something you might want to do, if you don't mind me suggesting, is to take some Meguiar's vinyl & rubber cleaner/conditioner and treat the rubber surrounds on the drivers. It will spring them back into life, and keep them supple.

Simply squirt a small amount of Meguiar's in a cup or dish, and using a cotton bud/Q-tip, dab the tip in the solution, then gently wipe around the surrounds. You can take a dry Q-tip and wipe off any excess.

The Meguiar's works so good, that I used it on my yellowing Infinity Kappa 9 Polydome mid-range drivers, and it made them translucent and soft again. Polydome mids are notorious for yellowing, and will eventually turn brittle, after about 15-20 years. I also use it on my Reference 105's.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Cadenzas weren't water damaged - thank God! Reply with quote

Lovely pictures of lovely classics, thank you.

No doubt enough to give some of the old timers here a tear in their eye, I hope that they sound as smooth as they look!
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful speakers. Smile

And welcome!
lt2525

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JE from a fellow Ottawa resident!

How is the Cadenza project coming along?

Looks like the cabinets could use some care. Tat reminds me that I wanted to start a thread regarding cabinet restoral.

Cheers
JEfromCanada
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: No longer an Ottawa resident Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome, lt2525

As beautiful as the city was (and probably still is), I have not been a permanent resident of Ottawa since 1981. I moved to Ottawa after graduating to work at Bell-Northern Research; but left in 1981 after I chose not to follow my department when it was moved to Raleigh, NC.

I returned again for a weekend in 1989 (boy, had the city ever changed), and again for a vacation with my family in 1992. I haven't been back since.

What I miss most is the clean air and the amazing bicycle trails.

As far as the KEF's, when I get the energy to get off my butt, I need to put those speakers on ebay or Kijiji. I have several generations of upgraded speakers since that first "audiophile" purchase, and I need to get them out of the garage before next summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: