SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF 107s with blown woofers...now what?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas42
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: KEF 107s with blown woofers...now what? Reply with quote

Hi all, first post but long time KEF lover. I 'finally' found my dream speakers that I couldn't afford years ago; a pair of very nice KEF 107s (series 1). I suspected when I bought them the surrounds would need to be re-foamed, which they do. What I didn't suspect would be the woofers would be blown (shorted voice coils I suspect). I did some research and called Madisound as they have SEAS drivers which 'should' work as replacement as I can't find a pair of original KEF drivers. Link to the SEAS drivers are here:

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-10-woofers/seas-prestige-ca26rfx-h1305-10-coated-paper-cone/

Has anyone ever tried these in their 107s? If so, what are the results? Are they a good substitute or am I relegated to waiting for replacement woofers to show up on ebay someday? The only problem I see with the SEAS drivers are there is no force-canceling rod that can be used between them (as with the originals). Not sure what impact that would have. Also, not sure if the KUBE would interact the same way with the replacement drivers as with the originals. Any ideas on this?

Another small line of hope I am hanging on to is a place in florida that allegedly refoams AND does voice coil work. They are here:

http://www.soundideasstereo.com/

No word back from them yet though so we shall see if that is an option to explore.

Any other options I may have not considered? I called KEF America, but they are elusive as well and waiting for a call back from them to see if they have replacement drivers (very slim chance I figure since these have been out of production for so long).

I appreciate any insights the group may have and look forward to contributing where I can.

Regards,

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: