SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tangent speakers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Tangent speakers Reply with quote

Greetings! Smile

Has anyone heard of Tangent speakers? They used a lot of KEF drivers. Several models have the T-27 tweeter.

They also used Audex drivers for some models.

I love their sound! I have a pair of TM1's RS6's and RS8's (the top of the line). My buddy has RS2's and RS4's.

They went bankrupt in the very erly '80's (IIRC) and the name was taken over by a company in Canada (that's where I live).

No question or problems with them - I just want to talk about 'em!

Smile
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary

Although I know about Tangent I have unfortunately never heard any of the speakers. The RS6 is mentioned on this site though thanks to Colin Royle and some early literature I acquired.

I would love to be able to add further pictures and information about them to the site. Have you any pictures you or your friend could send? Also have you any brochures you could scan. I am sure there are lots of people across the world who would be keen to see the photos and read any information you can provide.

If you can help please send ant information/photos to terry@allansonline.com.

Many thanks

Terry
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I own a few pairs of Tangents and having aquired my first digital camera a few weeks ago, I'd be delighted to send a few pictures!

I don't have any brochures but my friend may have some. He lives an hours drive away so that'll take a bit longer.

Stay tuned! Very Happy

Gary
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry, I just realized that some Tangent speakers may not "qualify" to be on this board.

For example, the RS8's have Audex tweeters, mids and Dalesford 10" woofers. But all the other Tangents have at least one KEF driver / tweeter in them. So I'll send those.... Smile

Dalesford is an extinct British company (English, I believe). I can't find anything on this company anywhere!
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary
I have a couple of Dalesford drive units very like B110s. Some information here about a Dalesford product. Colin Royle would probably know a bit more if you are interested. See Colin's email address on the site.
Terry
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! There is even a picture of a TM1!! Thanks - I missed this page.

You have an amazing site! Very Happy
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, the Tangent RS4 is about the same size as the TM1 - port and all. The only noticeable diffrence is 1) grill cloth and 2) the B110 on the TM1 is replaced with an Audex driver.

I'm pretty sure the crossovers (dividing networks) are different, too, although I'll never get my friend to let me open up his RS4 speakers to be sure!

TM = Tangent Monitors
RS = Reference Series (sounds better than the TM series)

Don't worry. I'll send you all this info - and more! - in an e-mail. Smile
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little Tangent TM3's from 1978 I aquired last week are gems, producing high spl's when required and good imagery.
A bit like the LS3/5a beating Spica SC50's, but with slightly less bass.

They each weigh 8kg and measure 37cm H x 25cm W x 28.5cm D.

The drive units are KEF, T27-SP1032 the B200-SP1014.

A Tangent aB crossover is employed at 3kHz, consisting of 12 elements - 3 inductors, 2 resistors - 1 15Ohm, 1*50uf, 1*5(?)uf, 1*1uf, 4*2,2uF.
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those are hard to find! They are about the same size of the RS2's.

To review, the RS4's are the same size as the TM1's. But the RS series used Audex mid / bass and T-27 tweeters while the TM series use the KEFs and T-27 tweeters.
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh?

I have heard about posting on the wrong thread before but it's the first I've seen that was posted on thw wrong fourm! Shocked

Or so it seems..... Surprised
allanson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
Huh?

I have heard about posting on the wrong thread before but it's the first I've seen that was posted on thw wrong fourm! Shocked

Or so it seems..... Surprised

Gary
I have deleted the 'off topic' post which preceded your post. I apologise for that as it leaves your post looking rather meaningless but for various reasons it seemed to be the best thing to do.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tangent speakers Reply with quote

Ok, I did once hear the tangent RS6 models.
KEF B200-B110-T27.
Their crossover did not do the KEF units justice. whatsoever
There also was the Tangent Excelsior, this used Audax units.
There were inded others but I never had a chance to play with them.
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gary
I have deleted the 'off topic' post which preceded your post. I apologise for that as it leaves your post looking rather meaningless but for various reasons it seemed to be the best thing to do.

That's quite all right! It's "vintage Gary" to be a bit 'out there' if you know what I mean! Very Happy

[quote=proffski] Ok, I did once hear the tangent RS6 models.
KEF B200-B110-T27. [/quote]

Ahhh, those were the first (short lived) incarnations of the Tangent RS6's. The later models - some imported into Canada - had Kef T-27's with Audex drivers.
nut853

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Educated Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
Wow! There is even a picture of a TM1!! Thanks - I missed this page.

I completly agree....this is actually what my theisis was based upon.
ARRAY
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Tangents TM-1 Reply with quote

Hi, I have a pair of those TM-1's. Nice looking cabinets although a little weak on the bracing. They certainly have attractive dimensions though. Another nice thing is the removable front baffle. If you ever wanted to re-use the cabinet for another DIY project it is ideal. I haven't listened to them much (being a recent aquisition) but their bass (presence) response seems promising. It is surprising to see how much the drivers can go for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: