SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unidentified IMF speaker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sonicsyringe
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Unidentified IMF speaker Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me, please...?

I've recently acquired some IMF speakers, but I cannot find any reference to them anywhere...

I'm pretty sure they're genuine, although some have said not as it is most unlike IMF to make a two way speaker. To me they have classic IMF build quality complete with formica front and back and look like a mini version of the TLS 50, but without the two midrange units. Kind of like an early Compact II (which IS a two way speaker!) but on its side and in a transmission line cabinet... ... ...

They are also very clean and neutral sounding and have a fantastically tuned and natural bass end, the subs of which give my Genelec 7060B a good run for its money!

Any ideas what they might be?!

I'm also curious to know what an IMF TLS Junior looked like, if anyone has any pics or info.

Thanks,

Alan

[img]http://s1157.photobucket.com/albums/p597/Sonicsyringe/?action=view&current=IMFSpeaker.jpg[/img]
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they're genuine

Yes and no they're a "marriage" of a Compact and "another".

Clues, split front baffle, formica front and rear, drive units used in veneered baffled designs.

The split front baffle cries out "it's a wrong un" so enjoy the music and don't stress about their origins unless you're going to get legal with a sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimp.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Sonicsyringe
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure they're genuine

The split front baffle cries out "it's a wrong un" so enjoy the music and don't stress about their origins unless you're going to get legal with a sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimp.

But I have seen several studio models with split front baffles... (and with the screw placement in exactly the same configuration)

Anyway, the drivers by themselves are probably worth more than I payed for the pair complete, so I'm not suing... cheers...
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I have seen several studio models with split front baffles...

All duds probably with shiny screws like yours and no witness marks for the velcro grill pads and what's the idea of an IMF badge on a plain painted baffle; it didn't happen.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Sonicsyringe
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your input Colin. I'm happy to accept that these might not be genuine... BUT, there ARE marks where the velcro pads have been.. they just don't show up very well in that photo (which, by the way, wasn't mine: I realise that the speakers should be placed with the tweeters on the inside of the pair). The grills look EXACTLY the same construction as others I've seen (same bracing, same grill cloth) and do have the velcro pads still on them. I've even seen pictures of split baffles, and of badges on plain painted baffles, in the IMF brochures and some reviews of the period... so, I'm afraid, those both DID happen too! In fact, if it wasn't for all these little details, I would be quite convinced that they were fakes and wouldn't have even bothered posting here!!

How many dud IMF speakers are there out there...? Are they a well known phenomena...? ...and what I really don't get is, why would anyone want to go to so much time and effort to create a fake that (barring the extra drivers and associated mid range transmission line) probably cost the same amount to build as a real one?!
canuckaudioguy
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd thing that one is. Using a cabinet that looks very much like the original TLS 50, but using the later drive units custom made by Elac for IMF.

It's possible this is a genuine IMF model but, it's very tough to say. When IMF switched over to the IMF Electronics name they didn't use that style of cabinet.. so it's a bit odd to see.

Regardless, it's interesting, if it sounds good that's what really matters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: