SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian Tangent Speaker information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the amp has been repaired by "Ring" - you must be in Toronto, too!

I believe the power switch for the amp used to have a red plastic shield that used to "glow" red when it was on.

I know someone who also has a set of RS8's.......... the two pairs that I have seen of these both have a metal "grill" over the tweeter. Did you take yours off?

Tangents were "weak" on the bass side of things and I suspect they were "voiced" for Classical music.

And I'm still in shock......... Wink
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://home.eol.ca/~ifftay/tangent/mattspeakers.html

I just took a close look at Matt's speakers.

I believe these were made by Tangent UK.

As far as I can piece it togeather, the original Tangent went broke. From the remains, there was Tangent Canada and Tangent Acoustics UK (like Matt's speakers). So these are a later model than the original RS8's.

I have a pair of Tangent Acoustics UK speakers - the "tangent UK" logo on the front of the grills looks just like mine.

However I am suspicious about the Audax drivers in my speakers. I don't think they are original.

Sorry for posting so much..... this is fascinating!
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Sorry! Reply with quote

Me again...........

http://home.eol.ca/~ifftay/tangent/tm3.html

Are you sure these are TM3's? They look like RS2's (T-27 and Audax drivers).
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you sure these are TM3's?

I'm sure Very Happy, that's what it says on the "tin" and I've got the date code off one of the B200 SP1014's somewhere.

I may get the screwdrivers out sometime (too many screws Smile ) and take some pictures of the crossover Shocked .
ChrisR
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
I see the amp has been repaired by "Ring" - you must be in Toronto, too!

I believe the power switch for the amp used to have a red plastic shield that used to "glow" red when it was on.

I know someone who also has a set of RS8's.......... the two pairs that I have seen of these both have a metal "grill" over the tweeter. Did you take yours off?

Tangents were "weak" on the bass side of things and I suspect they were "voiced" for Classical music.

And I'm still in shock......... Wink

Yep, I'm in Toronto and the amplifiers have been in to Ring for repair. I actually purchased the amp and preamp from Ring Audio in the late 1970s.

The lights for the amps have always been white light as far as I remember. However it's easy to slip a bit of coloured film between the lamp and the white plate to create some colour.

No, I didn't remove the grill over the tweeter from the RS8. These speakers have only recently come into my posession so a previous owner may have removed it.

I'm very happy with the sound. They have a nice wide dispersion which makes the sound very open. They must be about 25 years old and I wonder how long they will go before the drivers need replacing. I don't listen to a lot of classical and lately is been blues and classic rock but the speakers are fine with that.
ChrisR
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
http://home.eol.ca/~ifftay/tangent/mattspeakers.html

I just took a close look at Matt's speakers.

I believe these were made by Tangent UK.

As far as I can piece it togeather, the original Tangent went broke. From the remains, there was Tangent Canada and Tangent Acoustics UK (like Matt's speakers). So these are a later model than the original RS8's.

I have a pair of Tangent Acoustics UK speakers - the "tangent UK" logo on the front of the grills looks just like mine.

However I am suspicious about the Audax drivers in my speakers. I don't think they are original.

Sorry for posting so much..... this is fascinating!

Hmmm, these speakers are not phase aligned like the RS8s and they are a bit smaller so I don't think they would come after the RS8. (just a guess)

Someone from the company must know the whole story and it would be interesting to hear how these things came into being.
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ChrisR"]

Hmmm, these speakers are not phase aligned like the RS8s and they are a bit smaller so I don't think they would come after the RS8. (just a guess)

[/[quote]

That's logical. Smile

However the unknown speaker does not have the original "gold plate" Tangent insignia. I have seen the "gold plate" insignia is on the RS2, RS4, RS6 and TM1. Additionally I have never seen any other type of insignia on the original Tangents.

To argue against myself, my RS8's don't have any Tangent insignia on them at all.

The insignia on my unknown Tangents (small, 2-way) are the same as on your friend's unknown speakers.

And if the story about Tangent breaking into Tangent UK and Tangent Canada is true, it makes sense that the Tangent UK insignia is from the more modern Tangent UK company.

That's currently my best guess. Confused
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:

I'm sure Very Happy, that's what it says on the "tin" and I've got the date code off one of the B200 SP1014's somewhere.

I may get the screwdrivers out sometime (too many screws Smile ) and take some pictures of the crossover Shocked .

Arrgh! You're right (of course)!

I just pulled out a spare B200 and it's exactly the same. The Audax driver is different.....

I think my memory's fading into the sunset, John.

........... errr, Colin ........ Wink
ChrisR
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Tangent Speaker information Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
The following Tangent information is taken from AudioScene Canada magazine (1980). Tangent was an English company.
...snip...

Do you know which issue this info came from? There's a library close by that has all the AudioScene magazines and I can get a photocopy.
Thanks,
Chris
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't know what issue it was. I just have a photo copy of the page - I got it from a friend (the guy who has RS8's).

The page is a chart that has 10 SPEAKER SYSTEMS on the top that compares Stereo Voice, Studio Lab, Szabo and Tangent by model name or number.

Perhaps the front of the magazine would reference this chart.

If you can't find anything, I can always send you a photocopy.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a little one called an RS1(?), with metal grille badges, uses an Audax 4" bass-mid with a HD100D25.

I've got the badges btw Cool .

ChrisR seems to have disappeared, so....

I've found that Tangent TM1 crossovers are a bit of fun, as they are a classical acoustic Butterworth, where the 0.1mH inductance of a wire wound 27 Ohm resistor is used for L4 Shocked .

Cheap is good eh Very Happy .
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - an RS1!

I've never heard of one.... can you post a picture sometime? I'd love to see it...

"...metal grille badges, uses an Audax 4" bass-mid with a HD100D25"

Actually that sounds like the latter version when Tangent split into Tangent UK and Tangent in Canada. The original Tangents (or at least the ones first sold in Canada) had plastic gold coloured badges.

The Tangent RS8's had Audex 4" (IIRC) with the Audex tweeter (and Dalesford woofers).

Does the RS1's have metal badges?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Got a little one called an RS1(?)

That was meant to be a question.

I haven't got them and wouldn't stump up the £15 asking price at the time, as I've non-one to take them off my hands for that amount.

They were about 10" high and about 7"*8" very solidly made and the Audax bass units needed recones.

If anyone wants to play with recone kits, lives in or is visiting the UK, let me know and I'll supply the relevant contact details, but I'll be keeping the badges Smile.

Finally, does anyone want some pictures of Tangent TM1's including their internal construction and crossover schematics for their website?
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - sorry! I think they must be from the newer "Tangent UK " series, then.

Dang, I wish I was visiting the UK! If I found those speakers here, I'd grab 'em!

No interest in Tangent TM1 pictures - I have a pair here!
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris has now updated the Tangent site.

http://home.eol.ca/~ifftay/tangent/index.html

So Terry, how about a link from the "links?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: