SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian Tangent Speaker information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam2a3
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: I am in shock! Reply with quote

Hello Garry, could you sent me the square port dimensions of your RS6 Tangent? I will build a pair of cabinets as I have aquired all drivers (Audax+T27) and original crossovers. Does the cabinet have any internal partition for the Audax pair?
Thanks, adam2a3

Gary wrote:
http://home.eol.ca/~ifftay/tangent/index.html

<edit> I can only imagine that this tall "triangular" speaker is a Tangent RS10 which - I was told - was never made. It would have been their top of the line. Where in the world did you find this anyway?!?!? I might be able to gleam more info if you want as I know someone who knows one of the people who put Tangent speakers togeather here in Canada. <edit>

A friend of mine has a set of RS2's and RS4's! My friend also has the pre and amp!

I also have a set of TM1's and RS6's as well as a broken sample (in pieces I'm afraid) of a Lupus Circus turntable. Apparently they never worked quite right and you may have problems getting it back together. That dust "cover" acted like a large antenna for interference, according to a repair guy I know. He runs Experimental Electronics in Toronto Canada.

Nice to meet you, Chris!
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hullo! Sorry, just saw this. Still required?
adam2a3
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Garry, It is the RS 6 speaker that I am looking some info for. I read you own one pair, could you please inform me if there is any internal division of the cabinet or the 2 Audax speakers are loaded by the full box? And also, could you measure the depth of the square port? I can't telll from photos. I have found new Audax speakers, original crossovers, T27's (easy part) and I am planning to build the RS 6 cabinets as well. Thanks, adam2a3
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a few years ago I found RS6 boxes but all the drivers/tweeters were blown. The opposite of what you found!

All the drivers/tweeters are mounted directly to the front board which also has the square port mounted in it. To gain access, one simply removes the grill cloth, unscrews the front board and it all comes off. Easy. Smile

There is no internal cabinet division - it's all one big box.

I'm running all KEF now and my Tangents are in storage (simply under the stairs) so give me a bit of time to pull them out and measure, okay?
adam2a3
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Garry, that would be great. Should I use plywood whithout bracing for the cabinet construction (like LS3/5a) ? Did they apply any tar on the internal surfaces to lower their res freq?
I actually found the Audax drivers localy as mil surplus stuff, and the crossovers on Ebay right after this! Regards, adam2a3
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's pretty lucky!

I've things to do but I'll take an hour or two and take one apart - just so my memory is fresh. Very Happy
adam2a3
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
Wow, that's pretty lucky!

I've things to do but I'll take an hour or two and take one apart - just so my memory is fresh. :D

Hello Gary,
Did you measure any of the RS 6 Tangent dimensions ? I still have interest in his project. (cloning the cabinet)
Regards, adam2a3
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey...........

Outside dimensions 31" high, 12" wide & 12.5" deep.

Port inside measurements - 7 3/4" deep, 2 1/4 square (height & width)

The tweeter and two drivers are just mounted on the front "board"

Interior cabinet lined with soft, white fiberglass type stuff.

Apologies....

Need anything else?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Interior cabinet lined with soft, white fiberglass type stuff

It's the same material used for stuffing duvets/pillows, therefore available from non-audio related sources Very Happy .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Firm? Soft? Somewhere in the middle?

Good to know!

Heh.... I can just see me going into a store and asking the sales clerk what pillow density is good for sound proofing! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: