SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T52 markings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iso
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: T52 markings Reply with quote

I got one spare T52 for my Cantatas. There are couple of markings on drive units probably for matching drive units.

If anybody knows how they can be utilized for driver matching, let me know.

I found the following markings.
- green dot (sticker) on front flange near dome.
- No 234, dia 38,0 on white sticker on magnet side
- +1 805 written on inspection sticker with red pen
- LZ O (with / written trough O = dia marking) on round blue sticker

Also usual SP, serial, manufacturing date and 8 ohm markings are on T52.

Best Regards,

Kimmo
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 105s had +2 744 and +2 752 hand written and I wondered if it was something to do with the measurement plot. Can't be resonant freq direct since speced at 620Hz +/- 20Hz for 95% of production, or 650Hz +/- 70Hz total.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... hand written.... maybe to do with matching for early batches. Later production used to use proper printed serial number labels and the computer would match and print out pairs lists.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, mine had the printed labels also. Batch numbers and item numbers, an H number with 2 sets of 2 digit numbers following, a serial number, an inspection number, an R and S label with 2 digit numbers following, and another number with a zero with a stroke through it followed by 37.5 and 39.5.

All this in addition to the 744 and 752 labels. I think they were well measured at the factory and ofter wondered what the more esoteric terms signified! Very Happy
iso
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: matching numbers Reply with quote

Mine had printed SP1049, 8ohm, Serial number 6656 and inspection label H2178.

+1 805 hand written with red pen on inspection label.

O with stroke trough it and 27 or LZ (or can be also L2)and O with stroke trough it on round blue sticker.

No234 O with stroke trough it and 38,0 hand written on white rectangular sticker on side of tweeter.

If Audiolabtowers ques for 805 being the resonant frequency, even it would be off spec, would it be possible if +1 is indicating efficiency of unit somehow? 234 can be sorting number. It would be most obvious to use resonance and efficiency when sorting T52.s.

However, was inductance used for sorting tweeters? I noticed that it does vary quite much between T52:s in my previous tread. You suggested that my meter was off spec, but I have measured several crossover coils with it and none have been off spec. T52 VC:s were measuring between 0,08 mH and 0,5 mH. Now T52:s that are farthest off the spec are working on Cantatas. It is difficult to tell how well, but I suppose they are performing 1000 % better than T33:s with old ferrofluid in P60:s.

Speakerguru mentioned that measuring VC inductance is not easy task, but at least all my VC:s have been measured with same metering setup?

Best Regards

Kimmo
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, interesting. It looks like there could be a difference between the theoretical spec figures and simple practical measurement as previously explained by Speakerguru. Inductance is an interesting theory. I thought the +1 or +2 might be some indication of Q of the resonant freq, but it could be something else - sensitivity band like Spendor selected - I'm just guessing?
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensitivity is the only plausible suggestion of what the figures might be. The resonance frequency of a T52 is very low compared to the crossover frequency and can be ignored as a variable. Similarly, variations in the vc semi-inductance would be minor and not have a significant effect on speaker/crossover matching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: