SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New user introduction - Concertos in Canada

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert King
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: New user introduction - Concertos in Canada Reply with quote

Hello,

My father bought a pair of Kef Concertos back in the early 1970s in Montreal as part of the family's first stereo and I grew up listening to them with a Marantz receiver and a Lenco turntable. Dad's stereo has undergone some revision since then and the Concertos are the only remaining parts from the original configuration; the Marantz receiver started giving power supply hum in the speakers and electric shocks whenever its fron panel was touched so it was replaced with a Denon receiver and matching CD player in the 1980s. The Lenco turntable got retired in the mid 1990s after it started throwing electric shocks too, but was never replaced. The Kef haven't been a candidate for replacement in all that time.

Last summer, I saw a pair of Concertos come up for sale locally so I immediately gabbed them because I was looking for a good pair of floor standing speakers for my own stereo since I wasn't really happy with the pair of 1980s B&W bookshelf speakes I had. I've been very happy with them.

One thing that I found interesting about both my father's and my own pair of Concertos is that they all have a second metal plate on the back near the Kef builder's plate. The second plate reads: "Assembled under license in Canada & guaranteed by Smyth Sound Equipment Ltd. Industrial Park Road, Longueil, Quebec"

The best guess I have is that Smyth Sound was Kef's Canadian distributor at the time and that they imported unassembled speakers and put them together here before selling them to dealers. Does anybody have any other information about any arrangments that Kef had like this? I'm curious because I've seen pictures of Concertos located in England and the United States on eBay and all of them had only the Kef plate without a second one from a local distributor. Only the Concertos I've seen here in Canada seem to carry a secondary builder's/assembler's plate on the back.

-Robert King
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting. I haven't heard of this before. It does however make great sense from Kefs point of view especially if the cabinets didn't need to be transported from the UK. Presumably cabinets were made in Canada. Anyone know more?
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted Falcon Acoustics in England about crossovers. In their note they mentioned:

Quote:
...maybe it was a Barney Smyth (Canadian KEF distributor in 1960-70s!) special.

This is interesting as it collaborates Robert's information about Smyth Sound Equipment Limited.

I have never seen this plate on KEF Calinda's of which I've seen two pairs. And own one.

Of course the Calindas were first made in 1975. Mr. Smyth may have "moved on" by then.

Quote:
With the installation of a Hewlett Packard computer at the Maidstone Head Office in 1975, the Corelli, Calinda, and Cantata were all designed under the total system concept and with them came a second Queen's Award for Export in the same year.

http://www.kef.com/history/Hist1970.htm
David
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Smyth sound Reply with quote

Smyth were distributors for a number of audio lines. I don't remember the lines off hand. It was probably because of Cdn. import duties that it was cheaper for KEF to assemble here. I know of a pair of C95s that were made in the US and that would be the late 80s.

David
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received a reply from Falcon Acoustics:

Quote:
Barney instigated the Concerto as he wanted a 3 way system for Canada. I know he took units and networks and had the smaller systems at least made in Canada. Raymond`s son moved to Canada and was (is) involved for many years.
M. Jones
Falcon Acoustics Ltd.

RSD123
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of original 105.2's and they do not have the second plate. I know that a company called the lenbrook group has distributed Kef speakers for a long time.
tolstoy
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of the Concertos. What do people think of them? I've been offered a pair and I have to say that to look at they are not the most attractive speakers going in the kef range for that period. I live in a fairly small flat so finding room for all my gear is becoming problematic but if they're sweet I'll find room. (I think I'll keep the grills on though. What's the thinking behind having the crossover on the front panel?).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: