SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bextrene cone mass

View previous topic :: View next topic  
speakerman19422
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Bextrene cone mass Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the bextrene cones on the Kef. Audax and Dalesford woofers were formed with only one layer of bextrene?
The reason I ask is the weight varied on some of the cones being the same diameter. Just out of curiosity I always wondered.
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bextrene cones were vacuum formed in-house at KEF during the 70s, 80s and 90s. They were all from a single layer blank. If I remember correctly, B110 and B200 used 0.015" thick sheet and B300 used 0.020". The pigment was carbon black. It was difficult to get close tolerance sheet from the manufacturer because KEF was a small user and the sheet was primarily used in large quantities for packing applications. I don't know about the Audax and Dalesford.

KEF controlled the final weight of the cone/surround assembly very closely by weighing at each stage of the hand coating process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: