SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overhauling Kef 105/3's - some advice if you are interested

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clubsport911
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Overhauling Kef 105/3's - some advice if you are interested Reply with quote

Having spent 2 weeks now thoroughly overhauling my new speakers, (new foams, internal re-wire, adding a couple of upgraded caps on the crossver etc), time came to re-fit the MF / UMF / UQ front panel on one of the speakers.

Throwing together a long patch cable from the mini system in the garage, I spun up a disc and "yes.. they work".. but a quick move to the units themselves revealed that there was no treble.

Sad

Knowing the previous owner had new UQ and UMF units fitted by KEF, I was puzzled.

Well, nothing for it, I had to perform open heart surgery on the front panel speakers.

Removing the 3 screws, I removed the UQ / UMF unit and was met with a complete mess of wiring. The pathetic .110 bladed connecters were so loose that they were shorting the UQ tweeter on the inner edge of the aluminium housing and hence the intermittent HF output.

Nothing for it, cut off all those silly / cheap connectors (smothered in tape where Charlie the Chimp had done his best) and on with the silver solder.

I also noted that the (KEF fitted) foam was fouling the inner section of the cone so a quick snip of this with some sharp scissors had it looking perfect ! Guess what comes next ? Yes.. I had to do the same on all the other units for both speakers and now re-assembled, It works perfectly.

In a couple of days, I will recieve the final parts to finish the project and decant from the garage to the Hi-fi room where they deserve to be !
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Overhauling Kef 105/3's - some advice if you are interes Reply with quote

Good Egg!

Please keep us informed, I too have in the past come accross dodgy spade connectors. The worst were in a Radford HD250 amplifier.
I hate the pesky things, they may be ok in some applications or if of good quality which is not always the case.

Good luck! Smile
steve59
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kef puts some sort of coating on the tips of the tweeter leads and if they're not sanded off or snipped (if the leads are long enough) that can also cause intermittent connection. I had to bring in a pair of Q5's under warranty for tweeter replacement and had to return them when I got them home and there was no output from the tweets. puzzled everyone in the shop, obviously they blamed me for wrecking them somehow until further inspection showed the error.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: