SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF Chorale speakers type SP1016

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: KEF Chorale speakers type SP1016 Reply with quote

I just finished one of my projects - rewiring the above speakers with (very thin) silver wire. It makes everything sound so much clearer and accurate than 28 year old wire. They were built in 1976. I've done this modification with three pairs of my speakers.

The Dividing Network DN13 (SP1015 - crossover) is mounted to the front of the speaker behind the cloth grill. The actual nuts holding the dividing network in place can be accessed from the outside. Additionally, one of the nuts is connected to the + side, and the other is connected to the - side.

Interesting!

Does anyone know why this was done? Testing for KEF quality control, perhaps?

http://www.kef.com/history/1970/chorale.htm

Gary

Incidentally, these sound fantastic! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

A lot of North American modern speakers are pretty sad in the sonics department. These KEF's are soooo much better. Smile
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm what drive units are supposed to be in these units? Hopefully it's the T27 and the B110.... Confused
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: An update Reply with quote

I just purchased a set of Audex tweeters from member ColinR. Thank you Colin! Smile

They're in great shape! They are a more modern version of the Audex tweeters in the Tangent RS8 but they have to sound pretty much the same!

I actually bought them to replace the tweeters on my Tangent RS6's. This should make them sound closer to the RS8's.

And I will use the KEF T-27 tweeter from the RS6's for my KEF speakers (the tweeters are fuzzy). I really, really hated to break up the KEF Chorale speakers for parts - it would be such a shame - and these Audex tweeters were the perfect solution.

I'm a happy guy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: