SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

105.1 xover - earlier version with 3.3uf HF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rx7rotary
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: 105.1 xover - earlier version with 3.3uf HF Reply with quote

Hi I have the earlier version of kef 105.1s with 3.3uf on hf...

I am looking at recapping with clarity cap for HF, everything else elcap 2%loss.

falcon has been very helpful and also suggested the above with few more options, so I am just having a quick think before I order.

Thoughts?

Mark
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will definitely hear a difference. Unfortunately it may be partly due to frequency response changing from different values. For example when I measured mine many years ago when they were new the 2 input caps were both 3.5uF and the 2 output caps both 3.8uF well within 1% tolerance, these values selected at the factory to match the tweeters. Get the higher value the wrong way round and the impedance and response will be wrong.

Yours could be different since everything was matched at the factory to the measured drive units. However the originals could well have drifted by now by drying out so I would go ahead.

I used 1 ohm power resistors on the output side to compensate for the DF of the new caps. If sibilance is very pronounced you may need to increase this a bit more with very low loss caps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: