SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grill on or off ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good question, I once wondered if the very low frequencies could "modulate" the higher frequency direct sound by "chuffing" upwards in front of the tweeter.

However a moments thought about wavelengths shows low frequencies are so omnidirectional and such long wavelength the point of propagation from cabinet is pretty much immaterial even in a speaker much larger than a 107 as long as the low/mid crossover works. If it was a problem the time aligned 12 in unit in the 105 would be just as susceptible of upsetting tweeter output at long wavelengths.

I think the boundary effects of walls and floor will upset the direct sound and spoil a flat forward energy response much more than where the bass comes out the cabinet.

But since the "head unit" idea came out of the imaging success of the LS3/5a, maybe the designers thought that the 107 bass output was even closer to to the ideal point source? Something they took to logical conclusion with Uni-Q and Tannoy had been doing [albeit with colouration Wink] for years.
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that it was done to get the bass-output as far from the floor as possible to avoid reflections which influence the signal.
Don't think that the low frequencies will ever interfere with the high ones because of the differences in wavelenght.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche,
The Twilight of the Idols, 1889
Headrush
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Grills off Reply with quote

I prefer the grills off on my 105/3s because at high volume the bottoms of the grills resonate against the cabinets making an audible buzzing sound. That's without KUBE and my bass is still under performing so lord knows how the grills would behave if all was upto par..
SimplySound
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL 200 wrote:
My guess is that it was done to get the bass-output as far from the floor as possible to avoid reflections which influence the signal.
Don't think that the low frequencies will ever interfere with the high ones because of the differences in wavelenght.

I think you're right, but still the location relative to the heads does beg the question that AudioLab alluded to which is were they trying to create the illusion of a "point source"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: