SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF 104/2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oplancq
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: KEF 104/2 Reply with quote

Hello, I still own a pair of the original KEF 104 (with new crossover, makes it a KEF 104aB...). They still work perfect...I recently bought a pair of KEF 104/2 (1989)...I'm looking if there is some websites dedicated to those "newer" KEFs...
Funny than the 104/2 (without KUBE) seem to have so much bass while only going down to 55 Hz...

Thanks
Olivier
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: KEF 104/2 Reply with quote

oplancq wrote:
Hello, I still own a pair of the original KEF 104 (with new crossover, makes it a KEF 104aB...). They still work perfect...I recently bought a pair of KEF 104/2 (1989)...I'm looking if there is some websites dedicated to those "newer" KEFs...
Funny than the 104/2 (without KUBE) seem to have so much bass while only going down to 55 Hz...

Thanks
Olivier

Olivier
Don't know of any other websites dedicated to KEF. If you wish we can extend this site to include sections on newer KEF speakers. I am happy to publish on this website if you have some ideas.

Regarding your KEF104abs. I didn't know that the 104s and the 104abs were different. Both had the ABRs (BD139). But you are saying that the 104ab had a different crossover. Do you have any technical specifications for these and/or numbers of the crossovers and any differences to the drive units? Any details would be most welcome.
oplancq
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only difference I know between 104 and 104aB is indeed the crossover (aB for Acoustic Butterworth).. I don't know the reference SP...
I bought my "crossover" from Flacon (see http://www.falcon-acoustics.co.uk/ )...

Thanks
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oplancq wrote:
The only difference I know between 104 and 104aB is indeed the crossover (aB for Acoustic Butterworth)

I hadn't realised that. I thought that the ab came from ABR.
Many thanks
planet10
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An article on the aB XO with values written is temporarily available. I've also emailed Terry the pdf and hope he will make it more permanently available.

dave[/url]
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave
I will certainly publish it on the main website
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paper now published
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: KEF 104/2 Reply with quote

The bigest mistake in my Hi Fi lifewas selling my KEF 104aB loudspeakers. The upgrade was an official KEF unit. The difference it made was fantastic! As far as I know the changes were only to the tweeter circuit. Have a look at the site for ful details.

http://www.allansonline.com/Anatomy/KEFDocuments/KEF104abLeaflet/Kef104abXO.pdf

As far as the bass on the new loudspeaker is concerned, the physics of how the box loads the room is an important factor. You have some classic speakers, enjoy the music!

They were a bit room dependant, wish I had never sold them, a treasure!

terry wrote:
oplancq wrote:

Thanks
Olivier

Olivier
Don't know of any other websites dedicated to KEF. If you wish we can extend this site to include sections on newer KEF speakers. I am happy to publish on this website if you have some ideas.

Regarding your KEF104abs. I didn't know that the 104s and the 104abs were different. Both had the ABRs (BD139). But you are saying that the 104ab had a different crossover. Do you have any technical specifications for these and/or numbers of the crossovers and any differences to the drive units? Any details would be most welcome.

jnash
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: What are the component values in the aB xover for the T27? Reply with quote

Hi All,
I can read the Kef upgrade on this site about the improvements using the acoustic butterworth xover improvements but not 100% sure on the values hand-written in the lower right corner.
If anyone could please confirm the values for sure I would certainly appreciate it. Can anyone read them off their actual 104 crossovers for the T27?
thanks
Jim
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim
If nobody comes up with a schematic soon I will head up to my loft and look out a pair of crossovers for the 104aB and get the values. Meanwhile I will email you a couple of photos of them which might be of some use.
Terry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: