SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

105.2 crossover

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dev
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: 105.2 crossover Reply with quote

Request experts to please let me know if all's good with the crossover.
Do guide if any change is required.

I am told relay has been directly connected by the previous owner for unknown reasons & should be removed. Please advice.

Please pardon my ignorance, I see a few pics on the net with two identical crossovers. Are there suppose to be two? Placed in the woofer cabinet? What good will that do to the music?

Regards,
Dev
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the blue caps are original but one of our gurus will have to advise if Kef ever used these types. C12 a short circuit is ok, I have seen this before. Not sure about what looks like two 450uF in parallel, some series had single value of 450uF made up of two caps. In any case they should be rated more than the 50V I can see if you are using 100W plus amps and play loud. If 900uF series cap is wrong it may contribute to your lack of bass too? C5 appears to be missing and that is definitely wrong.
Dev
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
audiolabtower wrote:
I don't think the blue caps are original but one of our gurus will have to advise if Kef ever used these types. C12 a short circuit is ok, I have seen this before. Not sure about what looks like two 450uF in parallel, some series had single value of 450uF made up of two caps. In any case they should be rated more than the 50V I can see if you are using 100W plus amps and play loud. If 900uF series cap is wrong it may contribute to your lack of bass too? C5 appears to be missing and that is definitely wrong.
Quote:

Many thanks for the valuable input. As you have suggested, may I request the Gurus to help me in fixing this up so that I can hear the music as it should be?
Eagerly awaiting detailed guiding post Confused

Dev
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look around the site here

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/Crossovers/105.2/105.2CrossoverIndex.html

You need either 80uF or 60uF non polarised for C5 depending on the serial number (and other values in the crossover) of your examples.
Dev
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
audiolabtower wrote:
You need either 80uF or 60uF non polarised for C5 depending on the serial number (and other values in the crossover) of your examples.

Going by the advice of all you seniors, I ordered a set of new Alcaps from Falcon acoustics with 2%. I spoke to Jerry & must I say, was very cooperative & sent me these with lightening quick speed.

Thank you all , these new caps have made a sea of difference in the sound !
I changed the caps on one of the Xover, connected the woofer with VDH snow line & made direct connection to the amp with same VDH snow lines.
And what a beautiful change it is ! The speakers sound so much more musical ! The other speaker is just not audible any more. Overtly bright to the limit of hurting the ear...
Now, a strange & disturbing part, there's a boom in the cabinet even when the bass is turned low. It's not continuous but as & when drum beats there's a boom followed by jarring effect. I am not able to explain this but I hope you all can understand what I really mean.
The woofer mounting lugs in the cabinet are completely tight. I have also tighten the air gaps & have professionally remounted the base plywood, which was damaged earlier & another board was put underneath. Now it's back to original with no extra board.
Please guide me as to what can be really wrong? Why am I getting this boom & jarring effect?
Regards
Dev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: