SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My 105s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edd9000
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: My 105s Reply with quote

Here are my 105s. I spent the afternoon recapping them so I have included some photos of the crossovers etc for reference.

According to the stamp in the bass cabinet, this pair was made in 1979.

I hope to take some measurements at some point to see how they are doing.

A few more pictures and more details of what I did can be found on my blog http://teribil-audio.com/2013/02/kef-105-recap/.
edd9000
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some measurements,

First near field each driver individually, i did my best to keep the level consistant but they are probably off a little.

And from listening position.

These were after the recap. I did some measurements before but forgot to save them, all i have is this waterfall plot:

This was taken at 50" on tweeter axis, gated to reduce room reflection influence. The noise at 5k is due to the sound card or environments. You can see on the initial response they were not measuring as flat.
clubsport911
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey ! These impressive speakers look like they have been subjected to a professional review ! Nice.

Do you make home visits ? I'd love to discover what mine measure like... Coffee, cakes, beer all await your visit !
edd9000
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were closer id take you up on that offer.

It isnt hard to do, and doesnt require much equipment, a mic and interface does it. I got mine while I was in the US for around $150. The software is free.

Another fun measurement:

At 1khz distortion is 42db down, or 0.79% at listening position. at 100hz its at 1.8%. I looks like from 200hz up distortion is under 1% up to 8khz.

This includes the whole system, sound card, mic, amplifier and speakers.
clubsport911
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lincs is just around the corner for me Smile

(I've got close family in Ashby De La Launde (AKA RAF Digby).. Happy to take down my house brick by brick, move it closer to yours, re-install my stereo and do the measurements !

Very Happy

What guarantees / accuracy does the kit proclaim to have ?

Thanks
edd9000
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No guarantees, it's a sound card and a mic. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=390-801 is the mic I use.

The main source of inaccuracy is the room/environment. Without an anachoic chamber you will always have issues.

What it does let you check is overal behaviour, any real issues would stand out, it's interesting to see response at the listening position, and the spectral decay will still show up resonances.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: