SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Serial numbers for matched Speakers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Serial numbers for matched Speakers Reply with quote

Have a look at this link for some 104abs on ebay uk. Here is the link, or a link.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5711040491&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Is it true that KEF matched up their speakers after the serial numbers were affixed?

My set of 104abs are about 30 numbers apart as well.

I was wondering what other KEF owners know about this.

David
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned two pairs of 104ABs, in the good old days manufacturers seemed to respond much more readily with little Joe Public. I was indeed told that was indeed the case, even now, the individual units are tested and the files kept on computer data base.
David
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply.

David
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEF employed "batch machting of 50-60 units which were then broken down into 8's, 10's, 14's, etc for dealers stock. What was on offer was a "dealer pair" one from one end of the pile one from the other, you could have had sequential serial numbers if you wanted, by simply asking!
larnerp
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there ... I just stumbled across this forum today whilst researching the current second-hand prices for Kef 104s.

I have a pair from 1974 (with original boxes). My serial numbers are not sequential, but not far apart (13518 and 13520). However, the packaging shows they were sold together (by Audio T).

My father has a pair of 104aBs, which do have sequential serial numbers.
burkina
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Serial numbers and date of production? Reply with quote

Hello all, anyone can tell the year of production by the serial numbers of the units? Mine are Kef Cadenza - just found used, and no papers came with them - and they have serial 34396 and 39824.
Thanks,
regards
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really but..... take a largish crosshead scewdriver and remove a bass unit you'll find a label with SP1022 and another with an inspectors mark a letter and four numbers. e.g. {insp kef 18}, G, 1175. This drivers' date is week 11 1975. So add say three weeks and the speaker will have been assembled sometime in that period.

Last edited by ColinR on Mon May 08, 2006 4:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
burkina
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Serial numbers Reply with quote

well I tried and found a label on only one unit (it tells 1573 - so it's 15th week of 1973... quite old lady). The other one has the label but the text is gone, so no info about that unit. I noticed that this cabinet seems to have been rebuilt or repaired - it has a T27 with black-black wires and some inner cables show soldered joints to make them longer.
thanks ColinR for your help Wink
larnerp
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like original units were black/blue wiring, and replacement units might be black/black wiring on the T27s ... unless the replacement unit was salvaged from an early original speaker! Laughing

Paul...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: