SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which enclosure or open baffle is ideal for a KEF B110?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGBE
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Which enclosure or open baffle is ideal for a KEF B110? Reply with quote

Which would be the ideal enclosure or open baffle for a KEF B110 used as mid range speaker? I mean without considering size, cost, esthetics or convenience.

I recall now the mid enclosures that John Crabbe buit for his "Tip Top Top" concrete horns using the full front baffles of some IMF TL speakers in the corners of his room, sealed and making very generous irregular mid chambers for his B110s.

And, what about mounting them in open baffles? Don't you think this type of loading is close to the ideal?

Or the "heads" of the KEF 105, for instance, can be considered near the point where increasing its size would be useless?

Last edited by RGBE on Fri May 10, 2013 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
TL 200
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my speakers they're build in a transmissionline which gives them a very open character. The frequencyrange is 400-3000Hz.
See this: https://sites.google.com/site/vintagecambridgeaudio/cambridge-audio/CambridgeR50Specification.jpeg?attredirects=0
Click and download image.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche,
The Twilight of the Idols, 1889
RGBE

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That short TL mid-range enclosure is ingenious, but frankly I doubt about its sonic virtues at the relatively high frequencies involved. In my opinion, what makes it sound so open and uncolored is rather its large, irregular, internal volume.

proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Which enclosure or open baffle is ideal for a KEF B110? Reply with quote

RGBE wrote:
Which would be the ideal enclosure or open baffle for a KEF B110 used as mid range speaker? I mean without considering size, cost, esthetics or convenience.

I recall now the mid enclosures that John Crabbe buit for his "Tip Top Top" concrete horns using the full front baffles of some IMF TL speakers in the corners of his room, sealed and making very generous irregular mid chambers for his B110s.

And, what about mounting them in open baffles? Don't you think this type of loading is close to the ideal?

Or the "heads" of the KEF 105, for instance, can be considered near the point where increasing its size would be useless?

Google "Dahlquist" loudspeakers, their first offering looked like electrostatics with the grille on. They were all on an open baffle.
RGBE

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Which enclosure or open baffle is ideal for a KEF B110? Reply with quote

proffski wrote:

Google "Dahlquist" loudspeakers, their first offering looked like electrostatics with the grille on. They were all on an open baffle.

I know, I know... I even have a pair of the 5" Philips units Dahlquist used ready for experimenting. By the way these cheap humble 5" Philips are really good speakers.

proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Which enclosure or open baffle is ideal for a KEF B110? Reply with quote

Some of the early Philips dome tweeters were also surprisingly good, used them for many projects back in the 1970s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: