SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Production of Low Loss Alcaps has now stopped

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Production of Low Loss Alcaps has now stopped Reply with quote

I have just received the following useful message from Jerry Bloomfield of Falcon Acoustics.

"I ought to let you know that the production of Low Loss Alcaps has now stopped. I’m sorry to say despite our best efforts it’s not economic to get production re-started as the minimum quantities required for each value to be ordered are enormous. It’s all to do with the minimum amount that has to be ordered of the particular foil that is used in genuine Low Loss caps. Sign of the times, I’m afraid.

We deliberately stocked up some time ago with large quantities of fresh Low Loss stock having been given advance warning of what was planned, but already we’re getting low on some key values.

As KEF crossovers are the main use for them, if Forum members are thinking about replacement capacitor sets, it would probably be a good idea to get them sooner rather than later before we run out."

Thanks to Jerry for this advance warning.

http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk

Terry
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... sign of the times I suppose, don't repair some thing perfectly good, buy a new speaker.

I hope they can supply alternatives, even if it means some recommended resistance in series with plastic films.
martin
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, wasn't expecting that!

Aren't these still used by people like KEF? Obviously not if being discontinued.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: