SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting KUBE to an AVR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjarrig
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Connecting KUBE to an AVR Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I've got a pair of KEF R102 with the Kube. I had a Cyrus II amp which I connected the Kube through the tape loop on the amp. But on my new amp (Denon X2000) has no tape connection, therefor I'm loosing my bass. Do you guys know of any alternative to connect the Kube to my receiver?
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you have a pre-amp out. That can go to your KUBE inputs. Then how to get back in? I can see assignable audio inputs so if you're lucky you might be able to come up with an assigned combination that will let you play back the KUBE output while sourcing/viewing from something else. You would have to dedicate (and therefore lose) CD input maybe as the input for eq'd audio. Then, if I've understood the back panel and manual correctly, you set up the assigned audio as playing back the CD whichever of the other sources you've selected to play/view.
kjarrig
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer, I've connected as you suggested but I don't unerstand yourlast statement, could you please clarify as english is not my native language
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an example, I was thinking that if you were watching TV via hdmi1 say, you would select hdmi1 having previously assigned the audio from the cd inputs to play whenever hdmi1 was selected. I don't see what else "assignable" could mean. You'll have to try it and see if I have guessed correctly.
MartinW
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't the pre-out then be switched to the assigned analogue CD audio input, creating a closed loop with the KUBE with potential for feedback if the gain is too high? I've never had a Denon AVR though, so it might work differently to this.
Other options might be:
- try the Audyssey setup or manual EQ to see if it could provide similar equalisation to the KUBE. (I'm not sure what the KUBE does for phase).
- use a separate power amp with the KUBE.
kjarrig
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried your suggestion, but I can't make it work. Assigned the hdmi to cd, plugged the pre out on the avr to the in on the KUBE, and the out on the KUBE to the CD on the avr, switch the listening to CD,got sound but same as before, no action from the KUBE. Maybe I will try a pre amp
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but I don't think I can make any more useful suggestions working at a distance.
kjarrig
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading, configuration, and numerous tests, I got the amp to deliver the bass, so at the moment I'm quite happy with the amp. No Kube, just MultXT and Audessy configuration makes the trick.
Thanks for your input.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that you are now happy with the unequalised (no Kube) sound of your soeakers? Without a Kube, as well as less bass, there will be far too much mid-range.

I'm not familiar with "MultXT and Audessy"
Headrush
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the same Audessy system on my Onkyo TX-SR875 with my 105/3s (which are for sale incidentally) and found that I also got better base response without the KUBE, the automated equalisation provided by the Onkyo is very effective. Not only does it setup speaker distances and volume levels, it also cuts and boosts various frequency bands like a graphic equaliser and optimises the sound for wherever the mic is placed. I'm guessing room accoustics play a big part here as what the mic hears is what the mic gets and so accordingly equalises the signal. In all fairness you do lose the very bottom end without the KUBE and for stereo I much prefer my dedicated 2 channel rig, but if all I had was the Onkyo to play with, I would probably be quite content.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:
... I'm guessing room accoustics play a big part here as what the mic hears is what the mic gets and so accordingly equalises the signal...

If I'm guessing correctly about this eq method. It should work great as long as you listen with just one ear and with your head in a clamp Laughing Shocked Laughing
Headrush
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha!.. yeah for sure, you're dead right. It's really intended for surround sound which is all I use it for as I am fortunate enough to have some half decent stereo kit, well at least it sounds half decent to me :p
kjarrig
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speakerguru wrote:
Are you saying that you are now happy with the unequalised (no Kube) sound of your soeakers? Without a Kube, as well as less bass, there will be far too much mid-range.

I'm not familiar with "MultXT and Audessy"

I'm still toying with the setup. I'm coming to a conclusion to fool myself that it sounds good. I can confirm that the speakers sounds brighter than before and I feel that the bass is more "lazy" than before. But that could be memory hear loss.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: