SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

105/2 refurbishment.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oradba69
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: 105/2 refurbishment. Reply with quote

OK I took out the woofers and decided to take them to a profesional to give them a once over and fix the rubber surround that is coming loose.
Last night between clients orders I started stripping the cabinets for the redo and saw a manufacturing stamp for the speakers.
These babies were manufactured in 1979.
To think I was playing music on Sunday evening from my mac mini via an Arcam dac and these speakers were manufactured before the advent of personal computers.

Some quick pics taken.

Things are coming together, slowly but surely. Nearly finished with second cabinet. Quite a mission to sand and not sand through. Some bad spots but in the end I think it will come out nicely.

Decided to just give it wax and oil.
Have given the metal grills of the tweeter and midrange a good scrub and a few coats of satin black paint.
My WBT binding posts should arrive today and my grill cloth, new grill connectors and new caps arrived yesterday from Falcon acoustics in the UK.

The one cabinet must have been dropped on its castor causing this damage.

Someone tried to repair it by pouring some epoxy in the corner.

I decided to cut a new base/plinth to cover this problem.
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming along fine. You'd be surprised what a little cleaning alcohol and then teak oil can do the look of those cabs. The new caps should really spruce up the impact. Has that internal wiring been replaced at some stage, I thought Kef used red and black wires to the terminals/B300?
oradba69
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update.
Cut the 2 bases that will go under the speakers yesterday. They need to be spray painted now.
My son in law replaced all the caps on the x-overs.

Got some jewelery for the speakers.

Had to drill the holes bigger and do some chisel work to make them fit nicely.

Thierry
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Glad to see the good work going on.

One very important thing once you are finished with the bass cabinet and woofers are refitted is to check it is absolutely airtight : push the cones backward (two fingers around the center dome) and verify that they come back to their rest positiion veeeeeery slowly.

Thierry
oradba69
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thierry wrote:
Hello,

Glad to see the good work going on.

One very important thing once you are finished with the bass cabinet and woofers are refitted is to check it is absolutely airtight : push the cones backward (two fingers around the center dome) and verify that they come back to their rest positiion veeeeeery slowly.

Thierry

Thanks Thierry will do. Have sealed of the holes where the castors used to screw in and i also plan to fill each internal corner with silicone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: