SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introduction, and search for a Kef driver TL design

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JD79
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Introduction, and search for a Kef driver TL design Reply with quote

Good day to you all,

Just joined the forum. I'm a junior doctor from Cairns, Australia, with a habit of buying up any vintage audio gear that I come across, whether I need it or not.

The obsession started when I caught my grandmother preparing to send my late grandfathers Dual turntable to the tip. I have since inherited a venerable Lux Corporation SQ1226 amp, and his AR XB, the latter having now been rebuilt with a nice french polished hardwood plinth.

A few days ago I scored a pair of Kef Concerto's for $50. The cabinets are shot. Swollen and crumbling particleboard, and peeling veneer. Beyond repair. The drivers look good though.

I'd quite like to use some of the drivers in a scratch-build project. A well tried and tested transmission line such as a TLS80, or similar.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some plans for a nice TL design using the concerto's drivers?

Many thanks,

Joel from Oz
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

Re transmission lines see http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=652&highlight=transmission
JD79
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting read there. I'll dig a bit deeper, but for the time being I'd still like to attempt a TL design (or non-helmholtz resonator pipe based cabinet if you like) Smile

Unfortunately, the Concerto's I picked up have two fried tweeters, so whatever design I choose will need either replacement T27's or a different set of HF drivers altogether.

I do like the sound of TLS80's, and the cabinet format would let me go to town with some exotic veneering as well.

Any idea where I can find some clone plans for the aforementioned?

Cheers,
Joel.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some ideas here perhaps?
Link: http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?88133-Transmission-Line-Speaker-Build
JD79
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks proffski, Thats very much what I had in mind. I'll look into it Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: