SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF 104/2 B200 woofer sticking
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
theozaurus
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've got 3 of the 4 subwoofers refoamed. The complete speaker sounds absolutely brilliant now - what a difference.

Refoaming it wasn't too tricky and using the shims ensured there were no alignment issues. Really pleased.

Next part is to get the 4th woofer repair or replaced (if anyone has a SP1256 looking for a good home then let me know) and also recover the grills.

Ordered some fabric from Wilmslow (as recommended by KEF) but it is quite a bit thicker than the original stuff. Does anyone else know of another source?
theozaurus
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again!

I've finally got the 4th subwoofer repaired. They managed to change just the voice coil so the cone is still original and the foam has been replaced. Played them last night and VERY pleased with the result. They sound absolutely great.

I managed to track down some fabric from Radio Silks. Sample 1201 was a perfect match to the original fabric on the grills.

Next job is to measure the the ESR of the capacitors in the crossovers to see if there has been any ageing there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: