SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Couple of questions on a DIY kit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bepaald
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Couple of questions on a DIY kit Reply with quote

I have in my possession an old DIY kit from KEF. It contains:

- 2 x T27 tweeters (SP1032)
- 2 x B110 (SP1057)
- 2 x B200 (SP1039), one of which unfortunately has some serious coil rub.
- 2 x SP1004 crossover

So, I basically have these to spare. I used one of the B200s to fix my 104aBs (hence the coil rub in the one of the ones I have left), and have neither the skill nor the need to build a speaker set out of these parts. I do have a couple of questions maybe you could help me with.

First of all, who can tell me anything about the crossover. I don't know anything about it. How would a speaker built with these parts compare to my 104aBs?
Second, in preparation of a possible sale, I was measuring the resistance of the drivers. All the B110 and B200s measure the listed 8 Ohms pretty much exactly. The two T27's both measure 7 Ohms. Is this normal or indicative of a problem? Does it show its age or have they probably always been like that?
Lastly, does anyone have any clue what something like this is worth? As a set or as separate parts? I don't need or expect to get rich on this by the way, they are really just in the way at this point.

Thanks!
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SP1004 is a Concerto XO intended for use with T27, B110 and B139 units. You don't have any B139s, so the set is incomplete.

The d.c. resistance of nominal 8 Ohm impedance KEF units of that era was around 6.6 - 7.2 Ohms, so there is nothing wrong with them, although I'm surprised that any of your units measure as high as 8 Ohms. How accurate is your meter? Did you include leads?
Impedance is often measured in the flat part of the curve, just above resonance, around 100-150Hz.
willem-57
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, try to buy a set B139B's, maybe someone can tell him witch B139 it should be, spnr ?
http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/en/kef_units/A%20History%20of%20Kef%20Drive%20Units%20issue%203.pdf

If it is complete i think you gonna sell it easily.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: