SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF C55 Uni-Q tweeter help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Electone
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: KEF C55 Uni-Q tweeter help Reply with quote

I owned a pair of these in the late 80s which I traded in on their bigger brothers, the C95. I recently had a chance to pick up a mint pair and jumped at them. They traveled from BC to Ontario without issue, but my heart sank when I hooked them up and realized that one of the tweeters was not working. I don't blame the seller as he received the speakers in a package deal, did a quick test and sold them.

I disassembled the Uni-Q driver and tested the tweeter on its own and it was actually working. Put it back into the driver - dead. Must have been the very thin bare varnish coated wires conducting somewhere within the vicinity of the magnet. But, while popping out the tweeter again, the voice coil separated from the magnet, tore one of the tiny voice coil wires and I have failed in my attempts to revive the tweeter.

The N19 (SP1239) tweeter is nearly impossible to find. I tracked down an ebay seller from China who has quite a few NOS N19C (SP1446) replacement tweeters. He says they will work and fit providing you remove the plastic rear cover.

I'm wondering if someone else has done this replacement and if I'm going to notice a difference between the two tweeters now.
JamesMaidstone
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: C55 Reply with quote

From personal experience, I'd recommend staying with the same product codes as the original KEF specs. These tend to come and go with reasonable frequency on Ebay and maybe buying the whole unit is a better solution than just the tweeter module you mention which seems unlikely to be an original KEF part given its origin.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KEF-C55-speaker-driver-tweeter-crossover-CLEAN-tested-/231366078550?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item35de7e3056

Good luck!

James
Electone
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense, but I've already ordered the replacement, so I'm going to try the procedure and will post my results here when I'm done. Strangely, I've seen C55s come with different part numbers right from the factory throughout their manufacture. I'm just hoping a NT19 is a NT19 no matter what part number comes after it.
JamesMaidstone
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: C55 Reply with quote

Go for it - I'm still fairly inexperienced having only really refurbed a couple of pairs of KEFs so far. There are plenty of knowledgeable folk on this forum who I'm sure can offer their input Smile

I also find emailing KEF (support@kef.com) can get responses to technical questions, I have had several schematics and circuit diagrams and various advice re compatibility from them.

Hoping the new part works perfectly for you!

Cheers,

James
Electone
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I never even thought about emailing KEF directly. I will give it a try.
Electone
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no response from KEF Confused, but I'm happy to report that I successfully transplanted the N19C SP1446 into the C55 without issue . As the seller explained, the rear plastic cover of the SP1446 has to be removed. I pried it off with a screw driver and then pulled the two wires through the sticker to free them. The 1446 is much shorter, therefore the screw that held the original tweeter in place will not work. You need a metric M4 screw, 35mm length to hold the tweeter and crossover in place. The 1446 looks a little different - it has a polished rim whereas the 1239 is all black.

Original 1239:

1446:

I have not been able to hear any sonic difference between the two tweeters. So, I'm calling this a successful venture to save these wonderful older KEFs. For fun, I set them up beside my newer KEF Q300s and I have to say that the old boys sound livelier and image better to my ears. So much for newer technology...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: