SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

104/2 Binding Posts and gaskets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJM75
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: 104/2 Binding Posts and gaskets Reply with quote

Im about to do some refurb on my 104/2's (Donuts, reseal) etc..and was wondering if someone in the know can tell me the length of binding posts that are on as standard as I wish to replace them with higher quality ones while I am inside the cabs, and have the drivers out.

They look to be m8, but hard to tell the cabinet width without removing them, and I would like to get all the parts before I strip them.

Also, is it wise to replace the gasket tape round the drivers, and the access panels while I am doing the rest? If so, what size is recommended?

Finally, is it wise/advisable to replace the cable between the binding post and crossover, I gather it is just OFC copper cable and wont do any harm to replace with a slightly bigger gauge while im doing the posts.

Many thanks

Clark
Philips cd723/Audio PC with MAudio Delta 410 over SPDIF > Modded DacMagic 1 > Custom Interconnects > Audiolab 8000s > Audioquest FLX SLIP 14/4 Speaker Cable > Kef 104/2 with KEF tweeter replacements + Gold Binding Posts.
CJM75
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Slap ones self in the head......HARD! Reply with quote

After upgrading my speaker cable recently, as I said in above post i was planning to replace binding posts, and do a few other upgrades.

I went to have a look at the old posts and when I touched the foam at the back of the bottom box I got a crackle...I nearly soiled myself, and switched off the amp, removed the foam to find the negative loop terminal only sitting in between the 2 nuts and not tightened at all. The other speaker was even worse.

I went to Maplin and got 4 new gold plated M6 binding posts as a few of the threads were damaged on the old ones where the connector was clamped between the nuts.

When I finished WOW!!! WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!

I would recommend that anyone that hasnt checked these connections and I use the term very looseley Smile to do so, as this is one of the most effective upgrades ive done in a while!!
Philips cd723/Audio PC with MAudio Delta 410 over SPDIF > Modded DacMagic 1 > Custom Interconnects > Audiolab 8000s > Audioquest FLX SLIP 14/4 Speaker Cable > Kef 104/2 with KEF tweeter replacements + Gold Binding Posts.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Slap ones self in the head......HARD! Reply with quote

CJM75 wrote:
.....as this is one of the most effective upgrades ive done in a while!!

I'd call it a repair rather than an upgrade. I think I'd expect some oxidation and loosening after more than 30 years!
CJM75
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youve got me on that one speakerguru!

Lesson learned Smile

Still its a bout the same increase I got after upgrading to new cable!!

Im now wondering how long ive been listening to them like that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: