SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reference Model One

View previous topic :: View next topic  
martin
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reference Model One Reply with quote

Does any one know if the Ref Model One can be "upgraded" to the mk2 version by changing the x-over or modifying it?

The One-Two also seems to use a different uni-q mid driver compared to the mk1 too.

Was the One-Two a big improvement or more marketing?
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Model One had a small single woofer coupled cavity utilising part of the volume in a largish cabinet, which acted as an integral stand.

Model Two was a dual woofer coupled cavity with anti-vibration coupling, utilising the whole cabinet volume.
martin
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi speakerguru, I meant the differences between the one and the one two.. Confusing? Err kinda

Original Model One, Two, Tree, etc series

http://www.kef.com/html/gb/explore/about_kef/museum/1990s/Reference_Series_ModelsOn/index.html

Second "improved?" versions comprmising of the One-Two, Two-Two, Two-Three and so on.. Which had changes to the x-over according to that page to make them more "neutral"

http://www.kef.com/html/gb/explore/about_kef/museum/2000s/Reference_Series_Models_O/index.html
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Model One, Two, Three and Four were the last speakers I was involved with before I left for pastures new. Obviously any speakers after that would be inferior Cool Laughing Wink
I know nothing about One:Two, etc.
martin
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speakerguru wrote:
Model One, Two, Three and Four were the last speakers I was involved with before I left for pastures new. Obviously any speakers after that would be inferior Cool Laughing Wink
I know nothing about One:Two, etc.

lol thanks Laughing

I've been sitting on a pair of One's for some time but the B-160 LF drivers needed re-foaming so went in the loft for ages and only just got round to sorting them out.
Should be getting the repaired drivers back any day now, can't even remember what they sound like but I'm quite excited!

At least now I've got much better amplification (Audiolab 8000P) since I first heard them some years back which should drive them better as I heard the impedance drops lower than the quoted 4 ohms
martin
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo got the drivers back today... One thing to note, if any one looses output to the LF driver it could be the big inductor that's got a dry joint.
This happened on both of my speakers.

I haven't put them in the living room yet and just listening through my Audiolab stuff but so far very nice neutral sound, good mids etc Just wish the bass went deeper also they're a bit on the short side, to listen on axis I'd have to be sitting on the floor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: