SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cantata restoration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smegger68
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Cantata restoration Reply with quote

I have been given a pair of Cantatas by a friend as they have been languishing in his garage for about 20 years. His room mate at the time decided to throw a party and.... well, I'm sure you can work out how that ended.

Initial inspection shows a generally poor condition though certainly not beyond saving. The cosmetics are all doable so I am going to concentrate on the electronics first. The biggest issue is one missing B110 Sp1057 driver. Apparently this is the one that got destroyed by the party and is simply missing in action. I have already put an ad in the Buy/Sell section for one of these, hopefully one of the members can help me out.

I notice Falcon Acoustics have a nice crossover recapping kit for this speaker, shall be investing in one of those after Xmas.

If I can't source a suitable B110, does anyone know how good the Monacor drivers are that are mooted as being suitable replacements? I would assume that the crossovers will need a little tweaking if these were to be employed. Anyone have any experience with these or indeed other replacement units?

Cheers in advance for any help you can give. Looks like a nice knowledgeable forum, think I'm going to like it here Smile
Garethwatkins
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get bidding!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KEF-B110B-SP1057-loudspeaker-cones-/321611563535?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Speaker_Parts&hash=item4ae18b020f
Smegger68
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Gareth... going to follow those carefully!
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one in Canada. If you're really stuck.
Smegger68
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.O. Chef wrote:
I have one in Canada. If you're really stuck.

Thanks Chef. I'll see if I can snag these ebay cones first, otherwise I may well take you up on that Smile
Smegger68
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got hold of a nice unit. Going to get stuck into these really soon Smile
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. Keep us posted on how thing go.

I am currently back to using my Cantata's btw ... in the main system. While refinishing and refurbishing projects take place in the basement.

It's been a while since the Cantata's have had such a workout, and they are performing admirably.
Enjoy!
Smegger68
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently waiting for Falcon Acoustics to get the crossover rebuild kits back in. Then off we go Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: