SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radford BSL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MGM
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Radford BSL Reply with quote

I bought a pair of these about a year ago, with a non-working Celestion HF1300 tweeter. I paid £60 as I really didn't know what they were worth, but a liked the idea of another project.
After dismantling them ( not easy ! ) I found the problem was a crossover issue, not the '1300. The fault wasn't easy to find, as it was a very small crack in a track on the PCB.
Whilst waiting for an audio engineer friend to carry out repairs, I decided to restore the cabinets. They are 1 inch Afromosia, with 6 ply front and back panels.
A friend, who restores musical instruments, got the cabinets to look excellent and I refitted the panels using draught excluder tape to re-seal the front and back.
The crossover was returned and I finished re-assembly last week.
I will be honest, and say I really didn't know what to expect when they were connected up.
It was a pleasant surprise just how good they are. The Kef B139 gives an unexpectedly deep bass, the '139 & '1300 working together make a very acceptable midrange response. The top end is everything you would expect from the classic HF1300.
In conclusion, a very good pair of loudspeakers with a performance which I didn't expect from late '60/early '70s speakers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: