SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF 105/3 refoam and a problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exkefman wrote:
Hi SG,

It's the "upper" MF unit on the 105/3 that has the issue...so it doesn't have a dust cap....!!

Good news re dust cap.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those MF units with 3 ears on the magnet top plate - can't you unscrew them to remove the magnet (carefully not to distort the VC), clean the gap, straighten the vc former edge if necessary, and then re-assemble?
GTIanz
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed it!

When I pulled the tweeter the first time I had dislodged the tweeter leads from their glue and the wires were ever so slightly protruding outside the circumference of the tweeter.

Ultimately it was a voice coil rub and it was my fault.

After pushing in the tweeter leads and re seating the tweeter the issue was resolved.

Got them put back together and hooked up. Beautiful detailed music is now flowing from a great pair of speakers.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Well done.
exkefman
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTIanz wrote:
I fixed it!

Excellent - well done Smile

Quote:
When I pulled the tweeter the first time I had dislodged the tweeter leads from their glue and the wires were ever so slightly protruding outside the circumference of the tweeter.

Ultimately it was a voice coil rub and it was my fault.

After pushing in the tweeter leads and re seating the tweeter the issue was resolved.

Got them put back together and hooked up. Beautiful detailed music is now flowing from a great pair of speakers.

You've highlighted something that I'd forgotten - that there is very little clearance between the outer diameter of the HF unit (including the lead out-wires) and the voice coil. So, any slight displacement of the said wires, could lead to some physical interference of the voice coil former.

So it's important to make sure when re-assembling a Uni-Q tweeter into it's corresponding drive unit chassis, that the lead-out wires are not going to interfere.

When you are used to checking something like this all the time, it's not obvious to remind those re-assembling for the first time, that such a problem can happen Wink

So, thank you for reminding me.

Happy listening Smile

PS You now got 2 of my favourite speakers - the 105/3's and Dahlquist DQ10's !! Are you keeping the DQ10's as "original" or are you going to make into mirror image pairs? (and assuming they aren't mirrored already).

(I used to work for KEF from 1988-1995 - you can see my "profile" here: http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=1706)
GTIanz
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exkefman wrote:

Excellent - well done Smile

PS You now got 2 of my favourite speakers - the 105/3's and Dahlquist DQ10's !! Are you keeping the DQ10's as "original" or are you going to make into mirror image pairs? (and assuming they aren't mirrored already).

Thank you kefman and speakerguru. Your suggestions kept me going to chase down and figure out what the problem was. I was about to attempt the magnet removal and when I removed the tweeter and tested the mid it sounded fine - which led to identifying the tweeter leads as the culprit. I'm a beginner and this is all new to me. Good learning experience.

Can easily see the problem from an earlier photo:

The DQ-10's are my next project. I am going to mirror image them, run new wires, and re-cap the crossovers. Don't think I will do any other modifications.

Last edited by GTIanz on Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
exkefman
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTIanz wrote:
Thank you kefman and speakerguru.

The DQ-10's are my next project. I am going to mirror image them, run new wires, and re-cap the crossovers. Don't think I will do any other modifications.

No probs.

I first heard the DQ10's in the mid-late 1970's (on the end of a big power amp - it might have been a BGW or an Ampzilla - can't be sure) and they wowwed me then.... I'm green with envy that you have a pair and will be bringing them up to spec.

Hope you've got a good amp to help make them sing too. Wink

(I used to work for KEF from 1988-1995 - you can see my "profile" here: http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=1706)
GTIanz
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exkefman wrote:

No probs.

I first heard the DQ10's in the mid-late 1970's (on the end of a big power amp - it might have been a BGW or an Ampzilla - can't be sure) and they wowwed me then.... I'm green with envy that you have a pair and will be bringing them up to spec.

Hope you've got a good amp to help make them sing too. Wink

http://www.parasound.com/a21.php#
Very robust class a/ab 250 w/ch amp. Stable driving a 2 ohm load - doesn't break a sweat driving my Infinity RSII's which are a very demanding and inefficient speaker.

DQ10's come up for sale every few months near me ~ $300. There is something special about them - and I believe they were a truly revolutionary design. But, they are bettered by a lot of speakers (now) and leave a bit on the table (especially concerning bass reproduction and output). Still today one could do a lot worse than a nice pair of DQ-10's.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please direct any more comments on DQ10's to the "Other Speakers" section of the forum. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: