SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF B200 What type are these?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyS
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: KEF B200 What type are these? Reply with quote

I have a pair of B200 1014s that appear to have been modified, quite well, and I am wondering if any of you nice folk out there may know something about them? The inside of the cones have a letter Z or N on them and I've not seen this on anu others.

I will do my best to attach some images, it may take an attempt or two.

[/img]
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the LINN SARA (Small Acoustic Reproduction Apparatus) used the SP1014s, like NAIM they all modified the drivers to some extent. This is a possibility, the SARAH was of isobarik design, so used two units per cabinet. The SARA had a few variants on the dust caps, these do not ring a bell however.
These sadly do not appear here, so probably not via LINN: http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=12096&pid=186768
AndyS
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: KEF B200 What type are these? Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for your reply. Most of the pics I have seen of the SARAs show the B200 with a large white cap/plug in the centre. The black sealant around the back of the speaker, where it seals into the cab, did remind me of the way the Linn Index was sealed but no doubt sealant instead of a gasket could be a common practice.

Just seen the Linn Forum post and YES they appear to have the same soft metal damping strips in the same places. Problem solved?

Question

Last edited by AndyS on Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: KEF B200 What type are these? Reply with quote

Yup, LINN used to add small masses on very compliant rubber onto the chassis of the bass drivers in the SBL. Annoyingly they looked almost identical to a B200 but were in fact made by MS. They just did not quite fit the countersunk rebate for B200s!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: