SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BD139/B139, B110, T27 SPA6340, T27 SP1032...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Wolf
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: BD139/B139, B110, T27 SPA6340, T27 SP1032... Reply with quote

Those speakers are all in a tall floor standing transmission line box, my father used to call them KEF Concertos but they are not the same as the ones shown on this site. The speakers are aranged ontop of each other, with the vent that spans the width the box between the bass and midrange drivers. The two tweeters are configured (if I remember correctly) as tweeter and super tweeter.

My father used to have all these documents branded with the KEF logo about the speakers, but they are long lost now.

Can you help me identify these speakers?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are/were the speakers about 4 foot tall, 15 inches wide and 18 inches deep?
One port between the bass and mid unit describes the "C.J. Rogers/ Hi-fi Answers R50".
The supertweeter is a 15 Ohm Coles 4001G btw.
If there are two ports one between the bass and mid and another above the supertweeter they are either Bert Webbs design from Audio Amateur or the commercial incarnation the Cambridge Audio Laboratories Ltd R50 and it's lost the badges/grills.
Grills you say, well the first ones were made from Aluminium, which was quite saleable as scrap a while ago. Laughing

There is also another version which uses a Celestion HF1300 in place of the T27 - this has been attributed to Crabbe, but I cannot confirm this.
The Wolf
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are about 4' tall, but closer to 1' wide, not 15". The supertweeter might well be the Coles 4001G, it blew alot sadly. There is onle one port in the box. Oh and it was sold as a kit in Sydney Australia.

I'd give you more specific information, but I don't have them here (yet).

Do you think you could find some pictures of the speakers? Thanks Smile
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a picture (blagged from Epay) of the Rogers' 39"*13.5"*18" design, several of my Cambridge R50's and others, the Webb A.A. design is on this site - Jim Nash's Personal Treasures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: