SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kef Calinda Query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nilz
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Kef Calinda Query Reply with quote

Hi Guys

New to the forum and always been a fan of Kef speakers. I have a pair of Kef Calindas that are in excellent condition, I purchased them from my uncle about 20 years ago and they have had a bit of use and been in storage for the last 10 years or so, now I am torn on whether to keep them and potentially get some use out of them one day when I setup my man cave or do I sell them and downsize.

I know it may sound like a whats it worth post, but what are they actually worth??

I only want to know as if I am not going to get much for them, I would much rather hold onto them and use them, otherwise if I can get a good return on them, it will keep the missus happy when I tell her they are finally up for sale.

If i do decide to keep them, they will ideally be used as front speakers for an home cinema setup, will they be suitable for this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nilz
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, and welcome here.

The Calinda's are worth their weight and size in terms of performance but as with many vintage items that haven't established a name and following, you won't get that much as a return if you sell them.

They are a good compromise between size and performance and for home theater use, you will need to use a subwoofer with them.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are in good order keep them!
Get a decent affordable subwoofer or two from B&K and enjoy!
Nilz
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

They are actually in very good order.

I am currently debating getting a set of the Kef eggs and a 7.2 amp, so I could go all out and use the Calindas as the fronts and the other 5 eggs as the rest, with the 1 sub.

I dont think the missus will allow it somehow though!! Sad
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I somehow think the Calindas will do a better job as a subwoofer compared to the egg sub.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaSi wrote:
I somehow think the Calindas will do a better job as a subwoofer compared to the egg sub.
Wink
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have four Calindas and one Chorale set horizontally as the center channel in my surround system. Sound is wonderful. I have friends with modern surround systems and they are jealous. Very Happy

Who needs a sub? Not I! Of course I don't get that deep, deep (Star Wars Death Star) bass but the bass response is just fine to my tastes. They can handle loud movies with no problems, too.

I recommend you keep them and look for other vintage KEF speakers with the same drivers so the sound matches in your surround system. You'll be happy you did! In addition they are excellent 2 channel speakers.

Note that I have a pair of Chorale speakers, I'm just using one for the center channel at the moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: