SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

C95 Recap Advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lem
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: C95 Recap Advice Reply with quote

Hi all, first post, apart from my bit in the intro section.

I have a pair of C95s. They're not worth a lot second hand or, as far as I can tell, particularly revered. However they have sentimental value for me because I inherited them from my grandfather and because they got me back into hifi. Besides, I like the sound they make. The crossovers on them seem be pretty shot. I set them up a little while back after perhaps three years in storage and the midrange sounded like it was coming through a tin can. The treble has always been kinda quiet, which I put down to either ferro fluid or more likely it was the first symptom of the caps going. I'd really like to fix them up, it'd break my heart if they wound up in a skip. That said they're not my main speakers and as I say aren't worth a lot so it doesn't make sense to spend £300 on polyprops for them. I would if I were rich, but sadly I'm not Sad

So I stripped one of them down the other day, pulled the crossovers (3 per speaker, impedance compensation etc) and KEF very kindly provided me with a schematic. I priced up Alcaps on the Falcon web site and it came in at just over £70. That seems pretty good for a pair of Refs but tbh it's probably about what the C95s are worth so doesn't make a huge amount of sense. I'd probably have done it anyway but thought I'd mail them first and ask for a price for a kit. I figured they might knock a fiver off as I was buying a good number or perhaps not but match the tweeter caps for me or something. I thought worst case they might come back and say sorry no kit, just order what you need from the site, in which case I'd probably have bitten the bullet and ordered anyway. So, two mails, schematic included over a couple of months and a call (admittedly on a Saturday) and no response. I am now considering what to do.

I guess given the value of the speakers and the sheer number of caps involved it would make sense to use cheaper ones for most bits and perhaps just go for something fancy on the tweeter section. I had a quick look on Mouser and couldn't see any basic non-polarised electolytic caps. Would anyone be able to recommend a make and/or source of such things or at least confirm that Falcon are in still in business before I put my credit card details into their site, or indeed have any other thoughts/ideas/suggestions, on the recap or the speakers themselves. I'd really like to get these things up and running. It might not make economic sense but as I say, they have sentimental value, and I hate to see a nice pair of KEFs die.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Cricklewood Electronics?
http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1
(search for "bipolar")

Falcon are still trading:
http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/alcap-claritycap-solen-audio-capacitors/alcap-electrolytic-capacitors-low-loss-50v-100v.html?p=2

Ebay sources are cheaper but tend to only have "radial" lead versions.
Lem
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks SG, that's two options for sourcing now. I'll try to buy from Falcon now I know they're still good as I know they're doing their bit for keeping old KEFs alive.

Think I'll give ebay a miss though, I've seen some shocking russian doll style caps from such sources. They'd probably be fine, but I'd still lose sleep from fretting about it...
Lem
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All done \o/

You hear a lot of things about recapping crossovers making things worse, and of course I wasn't able to do the precise matching involved in the original build. Thankfully it's a night and day difference, they sound glorious again. One of the 4.2uF I pulled is measuring as 11 so I guess the work was badly needed. I am most pleased not only to have a nice sounding pair of KEFs again but also that I have not wasted my time or money.

Pic of the set from one unit below. I also have the schematics if anyone needs them, although KEF were happy to mail them straight over so that might be the faster way.

Hearing these now is making me even more tempted to get serious about finding some 104/2s...
oldandintheway
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lem,
did you replace all the caps?

I don't suppose you have a cap list you would share?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: