SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF LF Speaker Bolts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flumoxed
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: KEF LF Speaker Bolts Reply with quote

Kindly tell me if the three bolts attaching the spider (arrowed in photo) should be fully tightened? (Mine are tightened unevenly.)

Many thanks for your expertise!

Last edited by flumoxed on Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three bolts would have originally been torqued up to the same setting. The magnet is decoupled from the chassis by the three soft blue elastomer grommets. It should have some "float".
flumoxed
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speakerguru wrote:
The three bolts would have originally been torqued up to the same setting. The magnet is decoupled from the chassis by the three soft blue elastomer grommets. It should have some "float".

I'll check that, speakerguru. Many thanks, and best wishes for a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

By tightening/slackening these three bolts and gently depressing the bellows, I stopped the bellows scraping against the cone and cured the distortion problem with one speaker. Speakers sound sweet now...
flumoxed
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: KEF SP1280 Spider Bolts Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me the specified or approx. torque setting for the spider bolts, please?

The torque driver I'm looking at is rated at 1 - 6 N . M

Many thanks.

Last edited by flumoxed on Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: KEF SP1280 SPIDER BOLTS Reply with quote

flumoxed wrote:
Can anyone tell me the specified or approx. torque setting for the spider bolts, please?

Sorry, no.
flumoxed
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: KEF SP1280 SPIDER BOLTS Reply with quote

speakerguru wrote:
flumoxed wrote:

Sorry, no.

Many thanks for your reply.

I measured it at < 1 N . M.

Solution seems to be:

1. Adjust the bolts so that the three soft blue elastomer grommets have some "float" (per your advice).

2. Gently press the bellows up/down to confirm the bellows isn't scraping against the tweeter.

3. If there is a problem, finely tighten/slacken the spider bolt causing the scraping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: