SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF Concerto Tweeter T27 Polarity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rackit
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:09 pm    Post subject: KEF Concerto Tweeter T27 Polarity Reply with quote

I recently purchased a pair of KEF Concerto speakers SP1006. I have refinished the exterior and have installed a new pair of Falcom Acoustics cross-overs (33MC MK2).

Oddly enough, I noticed in disassembling the old SP1004 crossover the HF T27 tweeters were wired differently. On the right T27 the blue (I believe from schematics is the positive) was wired/soldered to the hf- while on the left speaker the blue wire was soldered to hf+. The T27's are not marked either positive or negative, at least as far as I can see. Which is correct? My gut tells to follow the schematic - blue to positive and somehow the original wiring was incorrect...but this seems unlikely.

Also, the T27 on the left speaker it is mounted so the connections to tweeter are at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock while on the right speaker the tweeter is mounted at 11 and 4 o'clock. Would this make any difference?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
John
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kef custom on the T27 was blue is positive. From what I can remember the midrange was deliberately out of phase (black to positive) but the tweeter and bass in phase to suit the crossover design. Thus blue should go positive through a couple of (5uF??) caps. The rotation of the tweeter should not matter for sound quality but I would say that Kef will have built them horizontal (3 and 9 o'clock) so maybe one has been played around with and the wires crossed?
rackit
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input. Your intuition is correct. The "cocked" tweeter and the blue being wired to negative are the same tweeter.

I will rotate and switch the tweeter polarity.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: