SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kef 107 - opening the heads

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rx7rotary
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Kef 107 - opening the heads Reply with quote

Guys,

I have bought a pair of "like new" kef 107's with two different KUBES version 1, and version 2.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCEhHQuv1f0/?taken-by=zlatibor031

Currently I am listening to them without the KUBE and would like to get onto re-capping the crossover. I have done much work on my 105.1, but the heads are different on these and I have unscrewed the back panel screws but the panel is not coming off.

Any suggestions?

Regards
mark
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
they are "supposed" to come off once the screws are removed. Mine don't as well and I didn't want to break anything by forcing them.

It's possible that years of having the front and back sides of the heads pressed together has caused some stickiness.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heads started life as two half shells, so they should come apart. If they are stuck, once all screws are removed, then using a lever in the support bracket slots should force them apart without causing visible damage.
ebf
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do one need to break the apart? Can't one get to the crossover just via removing the MF and HF elements? And maybe sneaking the crossover out via the MF hole? I haven't looked at this yet, but just guessing from seeing too much youtube and pictures Smile
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will surely be able to look at the crossover with the drivers removed but if you wanted to do a repair (capacitor replacement, etc) to the crossover board, it would have to be removed from there and the only way to do that is break the heads apart.
Well, not literally break them, that would be a bad thing. That's why I was not keen to put any pressure to the shells to open them.

BTW, just one question: How many screws are there in the back? It may be I missed one and that may account for not being able to remove the back part. I know it appears pretty basic to look for the holes and the screws but you never know. Wink
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaSi wrote:
BTW, just one question: How many screws are there in the back? It may be I missed one and that may account for not being able to remove the back part. I know it appears pretty basic to look for the holes and the screws but you never know. Wink
AFAICR the holes for the recessed screws are large and obvious. No hidden screws behind labels. There are also 2 small screws near the label at the bottom? Again photos would help.
ebf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This video has tons of info on this (and other things you want to know):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvBVtK406Rg
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a long time, hope everyone is well.

Hope I am not too late but I am pretty sure you cannot split 107 heads, as they were lined with dampening?

I am sure it was poured and set unlike the bitumem pads adhered into old 105 assemblies.

Also, the spigot for the main pin cabinet pin, does that not bolt onto the two halfs?

I am ptetty sure you simply remove all foam and remove the crossover from there, I remember that as I rewired my 107 with Chord speaker cable which I have since regreted.

Should have stuck with the spade connectors and simple ofc copper.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts wrote:
...Hope I am not too late but I am pretty sure you cannot split 107 heads, as they were lined with dampening?

I am sure it was poured and set unlike the bitumem pads adhered into old 105 assemblies. ...

Looking at the video and racking my brains, I think the answer is yes and no. Clearly the guy in the video has split it but I don't believe KEF ever intended it to be split after the Polyol filling of the wings. If you look at the crossover fixings you'll see that there are 4, 2 at the bottom and 2 in the middle. Crucially, none at the top. I think that means you can get the crossover board in and out via the B110 aperture after removing the driver and any lining.

p.s. in KEF engineering speak you never do any dampening to speakers - it makes them wet Exclamation Laughing
You damp resonances with damping material
ebf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm for others in the future.

On my KEF 107/2 - it is fully possible to get the crossover out via the B110 aperture.

No need to split the head, as in the crazy youtube video!
Huba Buba
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, everyone,

I'm searching for information regarding the opening of the 107 head assemblies, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. My question is if it's possible to get the tweeter out of the assembly without opening it, i.e. through the aperture of the midrange after removing it?

Does anyone have experience removing the tweeter this way?

All the best,
- K
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huba Buba wrote:

I'm searching for information regarding the opening of the 107 head assemblies, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. My question is if it's possible to get the tweeter out of the assembly without opening it, i.e. through the aperture of the midrange after removing it?

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Every 105 and 107 head I have ever seen had the tweeter removeable and installable from the front. Do you not have the heads yet? The wire mesh grilles are a press fit into a groove, if that's what's confusing you.
rg
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speakerguru wrote:
Huba Buba wrote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Every 105 and 107 head I have ever seen had the tweeter removeable and installable from the front. Do you not have the heads yet? The wire mesh grilles are a press fit into a groove, if that's what's confusing you.

Yes the crossover is removable through the mid "hole". Be carful removing the mid as the attached wires may not have much slack, note the location of all the foam when removing, remove the tweeter, mid, and input wires, there are 4 screws with tiny washers that fasten the crossover. Also there is double sided sticky tape on the backside of the cross over at the top, so you have to wiggle the cover and get your fingers under to release the sticky tape. Some pics are attached here:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/194401210@N06/LuQ72h
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: