SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody know anything about ADC-18 ???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozzyan
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Anybody know anything about ADC-18 ??? Reply with quote

Does anybody have any info or opinions on the vintage ADC-18 speaker made by Audio Dynamics Corp in the mid 60's?
It's a kinda interesting 2-way floorstanding speaker with giant (18''x14'' i think) rectangular woofers made by KEF (there was a Ebay review on the net by the guy that worked for the ADC. He stated that the speaker units were mady by KEF precut into front wooden panels which were than shipped to America and boxed by ADC). He also said that it was before the great fire (?) burned KEF's manufacturing facility, so they didn't use that design afterwords.
I was enable to track down any additional info on these speakers...
I'm also aware of smaller models made (ADC-12, ADC-14 and ADC-16).
Some guys at various forums (Audiokarma, Vintage Speakers...) suggested that the woofer model is B1924 (any info???) and tweeter an early incarnation of T27...Woofers are undetachable from the speaker box.
I got them from my grandfather and they're still working...unbelivable!!!
So, if you have any ideas or opinions....please share them with me!
Sorry for my bad English and thanx. Question
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is at the extreme periphery of my knowledge of KEF loudspeakers, but you have an OEM version of the K1 or K1 monitor with a metal domed T15 tweeter.

Links

http://www.kef.com/history/1960/k1.htm

http://www.kef.com/history/1960/k1_monitor.htm
ozzyan
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:
This is at the extreme periphery of my knowledge of KEF loudspeakers, but you have an OEM version of the K1 or K1 monitor with a metal domed T15 tweeter.

Strange, since the K1 was a 3-way system. Do you think that different tweeters were used or...

How did they menage to fill the gap between the LF and HF unit? Shocked

Do you think that the woofer was really capaple of mid reproduction, or was it the tweeter?

Opinions are welcome, thanx.
ozzyan
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Can anyone identify this unit? Reply with quote

Can anyone identify this unit?

http://www.ptt.yu/korisnici/o/z/ozzyan/back.jpg
http://www.ptt.yu/korisnici/o/z/ozzyan/back2.jpg
http://www.ptt.yu/korisnici/o/z/ozzyan/front.jpg
http://www.ptt.yu/korisnici/o/z/ozzyan/side.jpg
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a B1814 18" x 14" rectangular woofer as used in the K1's.

The 21 is probably 21Hz it's measured resonant frequency.

Quote:
Do you think that the woofer was really capaple of mid reproduction, or was it the tweeter?

They used to run bass units up to 1000Hz and and cone tweeters down to that frequency.

I don't know anything else, I may be old Shocked but I'm not that old Cool .

Very Happy Merry Christmas Very Happy
ozzyan
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR, thanks for the reply.

The interesting thing is that the original manual for this speaker says the woofer dimensions are 16x12, not 18x14, while even smaller woofer was used for the smaller speakers (ADC-16, ADC-14, ADC-12).
So much confusion... Confused

I'm a little bit suprised that there isn't much interest in this speaker (and it's units) on this forum, since i think this speaker was made even before KEF started to manufacture their own speaker systems (boxes, not units), and I believe this speaker and it's units are really rare. I don't really have a precise idea since I live in Europe, so maybe I'm wrong...

Also the guy that worked for the ADC back then wrote a review on Audioreview.com and he said that it was before the great fire (?) burned KEF's manufacturing facility for that design, so they didn't use it afterwords.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the original manual for this speaker says the woofer dimensions are 16x12

That's the size of the diaphragm.
Quote:
I'm a little bit suprised that there isn't much interest in this speaker (and it's units) on this forum

Andy "proffski" would be interested, I don't know about anyone else.
I'm specifically not interested, with >30 pairs of KEF based designs from 1976 to 1982 with about 3-5 more pairs required to complete my "working" collection.
Quote:
and I believe this speaker and it's units are really rare

I know of one pair with its 4'*3"*0.325" triangular steel hanging brackets in domestic use and the location of other pairs in a non-conformist Chapel and a Village Hall within a ten mile radius of my house, I not sure about the rest of the U.K. though, I suspect mining villages in Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Wales will have a fair few.
Quote:
before the great fire (?) burned KEF's manufacturing facility

What utter ePay crap, Rank-Leak-Wharfedale had a small fire in a Cleckheaton varnish/solvent store once and lost three days production, that was about the same time as Flixborough though.
ozzyan
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, ColinR.

Since my English is not so good
Embarassed , could you please "simplify" this part:

I know of one pair with its 4'*3"*0.325" triangular steel hanging brackets in domestic use and the location of other pairs in a non-conformist Chapel and a Village Hall within a ten mile radius of my house, I not sure about the rest of the U.K. though, I suspect mining villages in Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Wales will have a fair few.

I suppose this sentence should be informative or funny, but i just don't get it, one more try please?

Also, thanks for the dimension explanation, I believe that's valid.
I salute your >30 KEF's!
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Oh dear, I thought that was self explanatory, so here goes.

The K1's had very large steel brackets for installation (hanging) in small Churches and communal halls.

Non-conformists are Christians, but they're neither Protestants nor Catholics e.g. Baptist, Methodist, Seventh Day Adventists, etc.

Wesleyan Chapels (Methodists) can be found in most rural areas of the U.K. especailly in those communities concerned with coal/lead/copper/gold/tin/etc mining.
ozzyan
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sooooooo...not rare at all? Laughing

I live in Serbia. so there isn't too much speakers in ten mile radius of my house at all...not another ADC speaker in whole Serbia, that's for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: