SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie needs some Kef Reference Series 3 advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert Love
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Newbie needs some Kef Reference Series 3 advice Reply with quote

Hello to new friends.

I have just joined as I am about to take possession of my first set of Kef speakers, a set of Reference Series 3 in lovely condition and, apparently, sounding very sweet.

My questions are two-fold. One which is relatively weighty and technical (at least from my limited knowledge base), the other may be viewed as a bit throw-away (so apologies in advance).

I plan to pair the Kefs to a Lenco L78 turntable (with an Orthofon arm, Shure V15 III cartridge and Jelco stylus) powered by a JVC JA-S77 and a modern Arcam CD player. It is running a set of Wharfdale Glendale XP2 speakers. These are immaculate and whilst I have read elsewhere that they're not great, I really like them and others I have showed them too loved them also.

I am a beginner in this game and, to me, it all sounds nice. But perhaps a bit soft. I am beginning to desire greater definition. I know the limitations of the Lenco and JVC affect what I hear but I am wondering if anyone can share thoughts on what benefit, if any, will the Kefs deliver for me in this regard. And what benefit in general the Kefs will offer me (if any)...!

Lastly, I was wondering about sourcing original grilles for these! I like covers for aesthetic reasons although I have heard, but am minded to arch an eyebrow in response, that they impede sound. The covers for Reference Series 3 models must be rare as all I have found on the Internet so far is a black and white photo of them from the original brochure! Can they be found, and if not, can covers be made?

Thanks to all.

Robert
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

I have never heard the Wharfedale Glendale XP2 so I can only speak from what I see on the web. They do not look as though much effort has been taken in their design with regard to stereo imaging and off-axis response; the drivers layout is not even paired right-left. This is a manufacturing convenience (I know the KEF 104/104aB were the same).

So.... you may notice an improvement in imaging when you get your Model 3s home and set up.

Re covers, they were a custom tooled injection moulded lattice type frame covered in the usual acoustically transparent black cloth. They were relatively fragile. I don't suppose you will find any going spare.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: