SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Broken Corellis - can someone help please?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
horace
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Broken Corellis - can someone help please? Reply with quote

Hi

A good friend has a pair of Corellis, which he has owned from new and is reluctant to part with.
He recently returned from a weekend away to find that one of the bass drivers has ceased to function. He suspects (though cannot prove!) that his teenage kids may have had a party in his absence and applied a little too much 'welly'.
Apparently, the dead driver is emitting no sound whatsoever, but all the other drivers are fine. There is no sign of physical damage. My friend has tried swapping amp channels and this has confirmed that the speaker itself is at fault.
I have promised to have a look at the speaker. If it has been overdriven, is damage to the voice coil most likely, or could it be a crossover component?
What should I be looking for?
Can anyone tell me which bass driver was used in the Corelli - are they still available?
If anyone can suggest the most likely causes of the problem (bearing in mind that the teenage party thing is only a theory, hotly denied thus far!) I'd be grateful for your suggestions before I go peering into the box with a torch.

Cheers

Martin
________
MAINE DISPENSARIES

Last edited by horace on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crossover topography of the Corellis is such that you'll fry the SP1063 bass unit, then L1 (~2.0mH) long before you'd get to the T27.

You'll get nothing out of KEF or their distributors so you can either look on Epay for a replacement or try a competent rebuilder.

I have mentioned a couple in previous posts, but if you aren't in the U.K. U.S. or Germany, I'm afraid you're on your own.
horace
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

I am in the UK, so reconing is a possibility. A search of the web revealed a B200 substitute (Visaton WS20E). I suppose this would require replacing the pair and the cost would be about ?80 - I dare say that used originals would be no more expensive (IF I can find any).
Would the Visatons be a good replacement or would they change the sound of the speaker?
You never know, maybe one of the internal connectors has come loose. I doubt I'll be that lucky......

All will become clear once I've had a chance to look at the speaker (at least, I hope it will).

Cheers

Martin
________
NO2 VAPORIZER REVIEW

Last edited by horace on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a pair on Epay at the moment and I promise not to snipe Very Happy .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3276&item=5771062090&rd=1
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken Corellis - can someone help please? Reply with quote

I'm no longer sure as to which version of the B200 the Corelli used. Alan will know this one off by heart! Take out the bass unit, it will have a KEF SP number on the magnet somewhere. There were a few B200s on EBay going at sensible prices recently. I'd be reluctant to use substitutes. Good hunting, Andy.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken Corellis - can someone help please? Reply with quote

Sorry, in the previous message change Alan to Terry, whoops!
Andy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: