SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Naim with KEF
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never owned a Nait 1 but I would not be concerned about the power. Naim amps are powerful beyond their quoted wattage. But you have it at home and so you can give it a blast. If you are running at 9 o'clock quite happily you have plenty of spare power. I think you have a good combo.

Regarding your proposed spikes/stands. Are the spikes upward or downward facing? ie do they stick into the speakers or into the floor?
David
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are spikes going down to the floor and upward in the upward plate to the speaker.

I am actually quite amazed at when I had the Technics hooked up with level meter lights how little power was used at any given time when listening to music. I am talking fractions of a watt. 1 watt is LOUD. I think sometimes we forget that, or is that one rationale behind buying Naim. Anyway, the Nait1 I have makes music and that is the bottom line.

David
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have read that the Nait 1 is very musical. I am certain you have a good combination. You may have to experiment a bit with speaker placement to get the sound you like. Lots of naim fans like their speakers facing straight out rather than' toed in'. That is how I use my speakers.

I think that once the Naim bug bites it is difficult to get excited by other kit.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experimented with various combinations of NAIM equipment and KEF loudspeakers. Never had any problems at all. Even Subwoofers using KEF B200s just work superbly. The NAIM Nait MkI? I'll never get rid of this treasure. Currently my computer AV amplifier, lovely...
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good idea - ie to use Nait for computer audio amp. I use a Nait 3 for rear speakers in my surround sound system (and Kans)
Terry
David

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried posting this before, but something happened.

My Nait 1 died recently. We had a massive power outage and it survived the 1st outage, but not the 2nd. It wasn't even on at the time of the 2nd. I took it to my local Naim dealer and it is on the way to Montreal for repair with the distributor. They don't think it is too bad, as there was nothing burned inside.

I had recently picked up a Cambridge Audio P35 and am using that now. It sounds quite nice and is about the same vintage as the Nait 1. Slightly different sound, but good nonetheless in its own right.

Have any of you heard of this amp. The rumours here are that they are prone to blow up. What do you hear in England. It is well put together with a large transformer and discrete circuitry.

Keeping my fingers crossed for my Nait.

David
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David
Yes the name cambridge Audio is well known in the UK but unfortunately I have never owned any.
Terry
David

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Terry,

Cambridge in the 80s were made in England. The fellow who designed by P35 went on to design the Rotel line of integrated amplifiers when, they became best buys in the UK. The CA units now have UK design but are made in China, so the quality is suspect. The dealer I bought the amp from told me that I would have to do something pretty stupid to blow the amp up and I tend to agree. My tinkering days are over.

I will update you on the Nait in a couple of weeks. I would hate to lose it.

Best regards

David
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Naim with KEF Reply with quote

I have always found that whatever NAIM stuff I use with my collection of KEF speakers the results are excellent.

However, a good friend swears by his collection of Rotel amps, with his range of KEFs... They certainly sound brighter, but are they more accurate?

I could never get on with NAIM loudspeakers though, the SBL in particular.
No matter what amplifiers I used.

Each to their own I guess, great hobby enjoy!

terry wrote:
Once when visiting a highly respected audio dealer I was iinformed that KEF speakers tended not to work well with Naim electronics. Well I have owned my KEFKIT3 since 1976 and there was no way I was going to get rid of them when I moved from a Rotel amp to a Naim Nait 3 in 1999. It did however put an element of doubt into my mind. That doubt has however all gone now. As I upgraded to a Naim CD3.5/Nait3 then through various iterations to my current system (CDSII/XPS/82/Hicap/250) the old KEFs have responded at every stage. They have still a lot to offer. The only temptation would be the Linn Isobariks or another diy job based on KEF drive units.

To get back on topic however, don't believe anyone who tells you that KEF speakers don't work with Naim.

David

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Naim returns Reply with quote

My Naim Nait is back and better than ever. Actually the shipping was nearly as much as the repair. Apparently they have to test each individual component on the board to diagnose the problem. It turned out that it was a couple of aged transistors. The repair cost by the Naim distributor in Canada was much less than any local repair shop and I hope that I will get another 18 years out my Nait. I will never part with it.

David
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes one of the great attractions of Naim is the repair forever policy. It is not cheap but it is comforting to know that a repair will be implemented whenever it is required.
David

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing with Naim is that they do hold their value much better than a lot of other equipment.

I can sell my Nait for more than I bought it for. Can you say that about much electronics?

David
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is important too. I sold my CDX for more than I paid for it. Similarly a Flatcap, a Nac32.5 and even phono boards have been great sellers. I did however lose considerably on a CD3.5 which I had bought new. The secret is to buy second-hand. If the worst happens Naim will repair however old.
hans 67
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have bought a Naim NAP 180 and KEF RR 103.2's. The RR 103.2's replaced my Chorale's and the NAP 180 is added to my Nait 5.

The NAP 180 is faster and delivers more bass than the Nait 5 alone. The RR 103.2 also sounds faster (T33A instead of T27A?). I prefer this sound much more than my old situation. And that without throwing away the KEF sound!

I still say that the combination KEF with Naim is great!

Greetings, Hans
hans 67
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

in my previous post I told you about my "new" equipment and that I still think that KEF with Naim is a good combination.

But how about Naim with KEF?

Strange thought maybe. But no, I explain.
If you are a Naim lover then probably you are a flat earther. And flat earthers like speakers from Naim, Linn, Rega, Royd, etc.. If you love these speakers then you probably do not like KEF. Thus a Naim lover probably does not like KEF's that much.

And what if you love KEF?
Then you want the best amplification in front of them. And I think that Naim is very good!

Greetings, Hans
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Audio equipment All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: