SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just curious about 105.2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qguy
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Just curious about 105.2 Reply with quote

if I were to buy new gear that would sound very close to a KEF 105.2.
what price range would I be looking at ? and any particular models should I be looking at ?

Honestly I am contemplating on selling it or building a new box for the bnass unit so that the thing woudl fit my new place.

Note : planning to build a box roughly 48 inches high x 8 inches inches wide and 20 inch deep using 1 inch MDF. Mount the woofers on the side, tweets and mids in front. The project should cost me a about 150 USD in parts and labor

thanks
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if I were to buy new gear that would sound very close to a KEF 105.2.

Nothing, new gear would be much brighter sounding.

Quote:
what price range would I be looking at ?

Something with the same relative driver/ total cost as ATC's £2k- £5k.
JoeM
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: I just tried to do that. (long) Reply with quote

After owning a pair of 105.2s for over 20 years, I thought surely there must be some modern speakers I would like better, ones with a tighter, more resolving bass, but the same overall character. I went off on an odyssey that led to to over 75 different speakers, and as Colin says, the vast majority were far too bright. I listen primarily to classical music, and I have never heard a first-rate concert hall that I would call "bright." Warm, rich, and enveloping are more often the terms for a good concert hall. Quite a few famous names such as B&W, Martin Login, Harbeth, Quad, Magnapan, Revel, and Wilson fell by the wayside.

I liked the midrange of the Harbeth Monitor 40 very much, but I did't think its bass was as good as the 105.2 and it was brighter. One speaker I would have considered was the Sonus Faber Amati Homage, but it was $21,000. I wound up buying a pair of Spendor SP 100s. They are really very nice speakers, somewhat in the same tradition as the Kefs. They are a bit bright, but I dropped the treble a bit by installing an L-pad on the tweeter. However, I had to experiment a lot with the stands to get rid of bass boom and bass muddiness, and after a couple of years, I decided I wasn't entirely happy with them.

My son returned the 105.2s I had loaned him. I used what I had learned about floor coupling from the Spendors (see a post elsewhere on this Forum) and significantly tightened the bass. It is much better. The excellent Plinius 8200 amplifier (now superceded) made a big difference in controlling the woofers of the Spendors, and it does the same for the 105.2s

In short, after my long odyssey, I am back to the 105.2s (I almost said Penelope). I am now in the process of upgrading the crossovers and the internal acoustic material, and I wouldn't be surprised that when I am finished, I find I like the 105.2s better than any other speaker. In the end, when it comes to high quality speakers, there is no "best." It's what you like best. All high-quality speakers do a very good job in reproducing sound, but they can sound quite different from one another; what you choose is a matter of taste.

More than enough for now!

Regards,

Joe
RSD123
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father gave me his Kef 105.2's a while ago and I love them. He has recently got new gear again and has purchased a 7.1 setup with Paradigm consisting of: Paradigm studio 100 v.3 fronts, paradigm cc-570 centre, paradigm adp470 sides, paradigm studio 20's and a psw 2100 sub. Having listened to the Studio 100's at his place and the kef 105.2's at mine, they are very close. I find the bass tighter on the paradigm's than the kef's. The studio 100's msrp in Canada is $2900.
albert35
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same situation for me. Can't find speakers that I like more than my 105.2.
I read that I could improve the 105.2 by upgrading the crossover with new components, internal cables, etc...
Any advice on this?
qguy
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

albert35 wrote:
Same situation for me. Can't find speakers that I like more than my 105.2.
I read that I could improve the 105.2 by upgrading the crossover with new components, internal cables, etc...
Any advice on this?

Check out the review on Audioreview.com, there a review on the 105.2 (the first long one is mine Twisted Evil ) and i think 2 or 3 reviews down the line is a review with steps on how to update the crossover
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I myself use the Kef 105.4, I have read this was prefered by many to the 105.2, and I think the 105.4 came out a little after.

It sounds like a similar preference to the old B&W 802 over the 801, usualy people find the larger systems to be a little slower in the bass and less upbeat and lively, I guess the smaller systems also have less room interaction problems and with the 105.4 bass units closer to the floor, the differences with bass extension in room can be harder to notice due to floor reinforcement ?

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: