SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

converting LS3/5a to Kan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Linn Kan, Isobarik and others
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hans 67
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: converting LS3/5a to Kan Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have a pair of 11 Ohm LS3/5a's (Spendor, bi-wire).
I like them, but I also want Kan's.

Is it possible to create a new xover for the LS3/5a's in such a way that the sound will be more like that of a Kan?
Or is also another tweeter needed?

It is easy to undo the LS3/5a's of their xover.
And because I have the bi-wire version I can very easy use external xover's without any woodworking.

Greetings, Hans
boyzo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: LS35a to LINN Kan Reply with quote

Hans with due respect to you
LINN kan is a coloured badly voiced speaker on the other hand the LS35a is a sensationally uncoloured speaker a grade 2 monitor.
LINN Kan ranks with there abysmall turtable as an engineering botch.
SORRY Sad((
boyzo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: LS35a to LINN Kan Reply with quote

Hans with due respect to you
LINN kan is a coloured badly voiced speaker on the other hand the LS35a is a sensationally uncoloured speaker a grade 2 monitor.
LINN Kan ranks with there abysmall turtable as an engineering botch.
SORRY Sad((
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought a pair of old Kans and so I will shortly be able to find out how they sound. Would you believe it I have never heard Kans!
hans 67

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I think now that an important part of the Kan sound is the tweeter.
Just changing the crossover is NOT the way to go.
If I place the crossover of my LS3/5a's outside the box then I can short the terminals for the T27's and use only the box and the woofers of the LS3/5a's. Another tweeter (Vifa, Hiquphon, ...) can I place on top of the upsidedown box (woofer closer to tweeter).
It looks like a total new concept in this way and I think that finding some B110's, building 2 boxes my own and not touching the LS3/5a's is a better option.

Terry,
congratulations with your Kan's.

Boyzo,
I think we listen differently to music. No problem, have fun your way.
But Linn Kan's do some things very good which almost no other speaker does (dynamics, speed)!
And yes, they have much more distortion in the way a LS3/5a has not.

Greetings, Hans
David
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans, I am not an engineer or electronics guy,but I don't think shorting the T27 is a good idea. you could very well damage your amp.

Better idea would be to disconnect one or both of the terminals of the T27 and connect your other tweeter.

Sounds like you will have a mini SBL once you are done.

Terry will be able to advise you better.

Another query for you. If you take out the crossover, you will likely have to do it from the front of the speaker and will have wires running out from under the B110 driver, unless the terminal plate for the speaker connection is big enough to accomodate the crossover removal.

David
hans 67

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

sorry for not being clear.
I mean:
1: take off the baffle (is screwed on)
2: remove all the connections to the crossover
3: take out the crossover
4: connect the B110 and the T27 to the 4 terminals on the back
5: screw on the baffle

When I then connect the crossover to the 4 terminals on the back then I have a LS3/5a with crossover outside. This should allready give an improvement in sound because the crossover is not acousticaly stressed and is away from the speaker magnets.

When I short the T27 (not connecting the 2 terminals of the T27 to the crossover but together) then the T27 is braked by this short and will have (almost) no influence on the sound.
Now I have a very good box with a B110.
Now I place the box on its top (upsidedown).
Place a tweeter on top of it.
And connect this tweeter (and B110) to a homemade crossover.

This was what I was planning to do.
But, as I said, I think this is not a so good idea after all.

Greetings, Hans
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: converting LS3/5a to Kan Reply with quote

Hans, please do not do it! The KAN is just louder, it is not accurate, it is not a true HI Fi speaker. The LS35a has over 20 years worth of reaserch and history gone into it. The KAN? Tin Can!

Andy g.

hans 67 wrote:
Hello all,

I have a pair of 11 Ohm LS3/5a's (Spendor, bi-wire).
I like them, but I also want Kan's.

Is it possible to create a new xover for the LS3/5a's in such a way that the sound will be more like that of a Kan?
Or is also another tweeter needed?

It is easy to undo the LS3/5a's of their xover.
And because I have the bi-wire version I can very easy use external xover's without any woodworking.

Greetings, Hans

terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you on the Forum Andy
I am sure Hans will not take that comment without retort. I know that some people do not like Kans but there are many many others who love them. IMHO the essence of the 'loveability' of the Kans and the LS3/5 lies in the B110. I use a KEFKIT 3 which also uses the B110.
Terry
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Terry! I hope he takes it in the esence of fun. I do own an early KAN... But purely because I am a sad anorak who collects anything to do with KEF, in other words IMF, Linn, Nightigale, and so on anything that uses KEF units... If I could afford it, I would start a private KEF Museum.
The veritable B110, still put many modern similar units to shame, fantastic transient response, smooth, great on voice! KEF made two versions that I know of, but there was a third made in the 1970s. Just like five versions of the original B200. What a great site, how come I only just found it?

Andy G.
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proffski wrote:
I am a sad anorak who collects anything to do with KEF, in other words IMF, Linn, Nightigale, and so on anything that uses KEF units... If I could afford it, I would start a private KEF Museum.

Andy

Welcome from perhaps the other only other sad anorak on the Internet who collects old KEF stuff. On the other hand there may be lots of us. Hopefully we will be able to meet on this Forum.

If you feel that you can add to my site please supply information/photos and I will publish it with full credits given. I am delighted to communicate with anyone who shares this interest.

proffski wrote:
What a great site, how come I only just found it?

Thanks for your kind words. I only really started to put it together a few months ago and it just recently seems to have taken the attention of the search engines. I am getting lots of email from around the world now.

Terry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Linn Kan, Isobarik and others All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: