SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T15/T52 Differences, are they brothers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
helios102
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: T15/T52 Differences, are they brothers? Reply with quote

OK chaps, thinking caps on!

I have a pair of T15's with black domes that have been modified for front mounting as per the similar T52 - that is an incidental point, though. I know that the T15 and T52 are closely related, but how close?

So my question is this:

Can a T15 be used in place of a T52, i.e. is it electrically interchangeable?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a large knife and chop up a 40 Watt T15 and a 85 Watt T52, this can be done metaphorically if you so wish Cool .

You'll find that the dome material used on the T52 is thinner and the voice coil silghtly deeper, although it's the same diameter as the T15's.

So you have a thinner faster youngster and a slower fatter old'un.

A bit like father and son if you're into relationships.

You can use a T15 plus a low value 25 Watt resistor to compensate for the differences in power handling, but you'll have to add an STC/ITT/Coles 4001G to the system (0.3mH+ 0.47uF) to take the place of a correctly implemented T52 SP1049 sonically.

The 100 Watt T52 SP1072 has more power handling than the SP1049, due to the heavy metal faceplate.

Now how do they sound and what types of crossover did KEF use?

The T15 has a relatively flat response which falls away above 10kHz, so you don't need a complex crossover, 12dB/octave will do.
Hence the addition of a STC/ITT/Coles 4001G in many designs.

The T52 SP1049 has a rising response, so an aB filter or a Bessel with correction should be used.
If they've been "computer matched" for response then just use a Bessel.

The T52 SP1072, again "computer matched", has a flatish reponse, so use a Bessel!
helios102
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: T15/T52 etc,. Reply with quote

Thanks Colin, I knew I could rely on you for a comprehensive answer . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: