SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 way B200 project.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trickytree
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: 2 way B200 project. Reply with quote

Evening all. I have just aquired a pair of B200 SP1022 and am pondering on what to do with them. I am ccurrently using a pair of Coda 2's in home made cabinets, very heavy, sand damped......

I quite like what they do so am thinking of a sort of grown up version of the same. Wife wants something more domestically acceptable, they used to live in a "hifi room" in our other house and were only ever meant as a prototype...that was over 2 years ago! We both like the shape of the "lute" Sonus Fabers so will go down that route.

Thinking of 20-25ltr ish sealed cabs but with what tweeter? I would prefer something new, I see Wilmslow reccomend Seas, has anyone combined these with the Kefs? All comments welcome while I ponder what to do.

Regards,
Paul.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: 2 way B200 project. Reply with quote

As much as I am a fan of KEF the fact is that technology does not stand still. Although having the utmost respect for the ubiquitous T27 there is a plethora of stuff out there that sounds sublime.
I have built KEF based units using, Morel, Seas, Audax, and other tweeters.
Be prepared to do much research on crossovers, unit integration and many hours of trail and error as well!
Subjective preferences do count as well of course. I am lucky enough to have access to test equipment and musicians and their preferred instruments, what better reference?
For serious reproduction it is not a task to be taken on half hearted with the constraints of the other half...

Guess I have been very lucky in my life to have known three women who love Hi-Fi and the wires etc.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a total "non-woodworker" Shocked I've a few of suggestions.
Build a downward firing single fold transmission line within the confinements of your existing speaker box/stand like this one http://www.t-linespeakers.org/projects/yves/index.html extending your cabinet to the rear, you'll have to round off the corners and increase the height to get the required look/sound. Then get two pieces of marine ply to form an outer skin to get the Sonus Faber sail-look.
If you want a good tweeter get a Raven (favoured by the Germans and North Americans) or better still get one of Howard Dawson' Ribbons http://hd-audio.orpheusweb.co.uk/ they work as well as Decca's with KEF units so why reinvent the wheel. As for the crossover steal the bass bit from the Fried Model H http://www.t-linespeakers.org/classics/friedH/fried_H.html and have a play Very Happy .
trickytree
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, things have taken turn for the worse. I have managed to break one of the tweeters on my Coda's Mad . I'm not to worried as such other than it leaves me with no sounds for a while untill I either repair them or build the new ones.

I am led to believe that the SP1022 is ideal for transmition lines so I am quite tempted to go down that route, but wife is set on the Sonus Faber shape so building a cabinet is going to prove interesting! Dont take the above "creations" to seriously, I am a carpenter by trade and they were knocked up in an evening just as an experiment. They are actualy not what they seem as inside they have curved sides a'la Sonus Faber, sand then fills the gap between tham and the outside wall. They weigh over 60lbs each Shocked ! Oh, and just to make it even harder they have to tilt bacwards! Women ehh!

Soooo, are the internal dimentions of a TL that critical? As the cabinet is going to have curved sides then it is going to be next to imposible (for me at least) to work out any internal volumes? The port will have to exit on the front obviously but that should be OK. Do you think I could take the dimentions from "half" of the coffin or is that tuned just for bass output? That is the only TL plan I have come across useing the 1022.

Colin, that ribbon tweeter is way out of my price range.....infact I want to Wilmslow a while back to listen to there upto date version of the DeccaVolt (useing a Visaton ribbon) and was not to impressed TBH. I am bidding on some Audax tweets, should now in a few days otherwise I will give Falcon a ring and see what they have.

Paul.
trickytree
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right then, I got hold of a pair of passive bass radiators and x-overs from a pair of Cadenzas to go with the B200's, sooooo, I came up with these....

Still much work to do, I wired them up tonight to check that all the drivers and x-overs work OK. To say it has no stuffing or damping, a stock x-over and a pair of Vifa tweeters it dont sound to bad, nice to have some bass at last! And I can sit anywhere in the room and it sounds the same. I admit the design is down to pure luck, computer programes and me dont get on, but I am well chuffed.

Paul.
trickytree
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of shots showing the internal bracing. This fixes the sides, back and front at irregular distances. The large "diagonal" brace that connects the sides is there to prevent the back waves from the mid-bass unit from hitting the passive radiator full on, they are deflected towards the bottom of the cabinet then back up to thre passive.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: